Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday I put my paddle shifters in the G, and of course with my luck I slipped while trying to strip a wire and jammed my dikes right into the instrument cluster. Now there is a pretty deep scratch right in the middle. Can anyone tell me a good scratch remover/procedure I can use to remove this? I would appreciate it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
371 Posts
If it is rather deep I think you may have to sand it down or something and use a headlight restoration kit on it.

Otherwise maybe something to fill it like a crack on a windshield.

Then again there could be a very simple easy answer...hopefully someone else will chime in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was researching online and everything I read stated to get some 600 open grit sand paper, sand from the center of the scratch out, and then buff it out. wish there was a better option, since if I did it wrong, I would ruin the gauge cluster. Not ideal.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Subscribed. Interested just to see if its possible. Im personally good but yuh never know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Repair Report

So, after a bit of research online, I came across a procedure which incorporates the use of whitening toothpaste, and some elbow grease. Here is a little DIY of my results.

Before any work. Look at that scratch laughing at me. :cursin:

1. Are you like Richard Hammond and have whitening toothpaste at your disposal, grab it. From what I read whitening is preferred since it is slightly abrasive.

2. Put the toothpaste on your finger, and rub into scratch Don't use buffing pad, unless it is microfiber. Also, have a clean, damp microfiber towel on standby to clean off toothpaste.

3. wipe off toothpaste and check to see how much of the scratch has been removed. You may noticed small scratches now since the toothpaste is slightly abrasive.

4. After a few coats, the scratch was still visible. However, I could not feel it with my finger nail anymore. What I decided to do what use a buffing wheel from my dremel, and attach it to my cordless drill. I used my cordless drill since it is a much lower speed than my dremel, and did not want to heat up the plastic too much.

5. I then rubbed toothpaste back on the scratch and buffed it for around a min, going back and forth slowly over the scratch. Don't stay in one spot too long since you may heat up the plastic which will warp it.

6. You can now roughly see the fine scratches the toothpaste left behind, and the scratch is slowing disappearing.

After about 10 applications of toothpaste/buffing.

The scratch is slowly disappearing, however, I wanted to speed up the process. So I found Meguiars fine-cut cleaner compound, and used this for a few applications to speed up the process. Be careful if you use a cutting compound as it can damage the plastic because of the abrasive materials inside.

This is the scratch after about 5 applications of the cleaner using buffer pad.

Notice how the scratch is almost gone, yet you can still see the shadow of the scratch from the light. I noticed without the light, I could not see the scratch.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Repair Report Part II

7. I went back to using toothpaste for a few more passes to see if i could clean it up some more

8. I then grabbed my plastic cleaner to take off the swirl marks left behind from the toothpaste/cleaner

9. After cleaning you could only see the scratch depending on what angle you held the light at. looking straight on, and the scratch is gone!

Close up. You can see the "Shadow" of the scratch

A picture further back. Scratch not visible

Another closeup. Scratch not visible.

I finished everything up, and cleaned off my dash nicely. The car smelt like toothpaste afterwards, which is a plus I suppose if you like the smell of toothpaste. I could have used 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, but I did not have any available. I may still get a 1,000 grit wet/dry to take some more off later on. I feel this method worked very well for taking most of the scratch out. This method would be excellent for the finer scratches, as the scratch I tackled was pretty deep. Total time was around an hour. Hope this helps those who want to take scratches out of their plastic, but do not want to worry about damaging it with wet/dry sand paper. Let me know what y'all think!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Interesting.I'll keep this trick in mind. Looks way better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.