Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was going great and smoothly today. I'm not really sure how any of you just "wiggle" it into place on the drivers side. Maybe you do. But I just don't see it happening. I removed the bolt from the steering column just below the knuckle that looks like it clamps it in places. Can anyone give me an idea of which direction to apply pressure to remove the thing? I need it out of the way to finish my header install. I thought straight back, but that isn't happening.

And any other advice anyone might have for the drivers side. Going to go back at it tomorrow. God help me, I need it. Sigh.

Anyways, got the passenger side done with new plugs and wires while I was there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used a long punch and tapped it up from under the car, it popped right off. I couldn't get it by hand either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
786 Posts
Same here put a large flat head on it from underneith then give it a few wacks with a hammer and it will break it loose then u should be able to wiggle it the rest of the way by hand from above

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like putting it back on will be equally fun. Joy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I replace steering shafts all the time.. use a big pry bar and insert it in the pinch part after removing the bolt.. hit it with a hammer in the direction you want it to come off.. this will open up the pinch and slide it off all at the same time.. plus it will open it up and make it easier to reinstall

·
Registered
895 Posts
I took a marker and marked a line to make sure it lines back up correctly. Lock the steering wheel or tie it up so it doesnt turn.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just spray some PB blaster on it. Lol, I love that stuff.

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I've read here the Kooks and OBX LT's it's an issue. A few claim they had the car high enough to get it in. That might be possible, but I've got the car as high as I can go, I'd need a lift to go higher, and I think a few who didn't have problems mentioned having access to a lift.

I spent two hours trying. The passenger side just slide right up, boom done in like 10 minutes. So when I got to the other side, I was pretty mad.

I can imagine shorties are easier since the stock manifolds just fell straight down.

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
I don't remember having much issue with removing the steering shaft. Have you hit it with PB Blaster yet. I really think that will help you out.

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't remember having much issue with removing the steering shaft. Have you hit it with PB Blaster yet. I really think that will help you out.
I don't have any rust on the car. But I was just trying to move it with my bare hands. And I was pretty worn out and frustrated by the time I got there. I started working after work at 6pm last night. I might just wait till tomorrow morning, tackle it first thing in the morning.

Are they MSD wires?
Nope, they're Taylor 409 -10.4mm plug wires I picked up from Maryland Speed. They where cheaper there than Summit & Jegs by a few bucks.

I'm also going to pick up some spark plug boot protectors.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
I took a marker and marked a line to make sure it lines back up correctly. Lock the steering wheel or tie it up so it doesnt turn.
Aren't you glad we didn't have to mess with this when we installed my Kooks mids? Thank goodness.

Oh and OP it's a good idea to remove your plugs before install, especially on the driver side.

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Umm... yeah you think.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I laugh every time I see all the comments about removing the steering shaft. Its not a big deal what so ever. ITS VERY SIMPLE. Honestly removing some of the spark plugs is harder lol.

Seriously, follow some of the tips suggested and it will come off in less than 2 minutes and go back on in less than 2 minutes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with BLKG8. I was worried about the steering column shaft before the install but when it came time to disconnect it, it was much easier than I thought it was going to be. I was able to do it all by hand though

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just came home, grabbed it and tugged, came right off. I swear that thing wouldn't budge last night. I guess that's what I get for thinking at 7pm, hey why not swap my headers, I bet I can get it done in 3 hours, lol.

Now to install the header and test it out.

·
Motoring Enthusiast
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pics or it didn't happen right:

BTW, for anyone who didn't know LT's + Straight Pipes = LOUD AS (insert obscenity)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts