Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with cutting everything out except the 2 center resonators? I'm thinking of removing the mid muffler, leaving the center resonators, and replacing the rear mufflers with glasspacks. Just wondering if anyone knows how the resonators affect the sound? or if I should just delete those to and do straights to glasspacks? (I'm going the cheap route I know :/ )

·
Registered
906 Posts
Resonators mainly limit the raspieness of the exhaust. I left mine in and went the same route with solo axle backs and liked the outcome.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't have it any longer so I will go from memory. Drone was non-existent when in 8 cyl. mode. The x-pipe actually quieted down the exhaust other than on a start up or full throttle. You still get the trombone like noise while in 4 cyl. mode as all Solo systems had. I can say exactly how the mufflers you are going with will do with drone, but for the setup I had, those were my experiences.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
The centre resonators are mini glass packs, so the only tame it a little with no restrictions.

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
i hacked everything out of mine...

·
Registered
556 Posts
The midpipe I bought from SRG63 had the large muffler replaced with a Magnaflow X-pipe muffler and the resonators replaced with pipe. It sounds great IMO with the Pypes axlebacks I have.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There is a guy here in Orlando who removed his stock axel backs leaving the factory mids and resinators...he added a set of loud mouths in place of the axel backs and it sounds nice....not sure about the drone???

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've removed everything but the resonators on mine. I put a 2.5" x-pipe in and removed the rear mufflers completely. Sounds good to me, although Id like a little deeper sound from it. Not terribly loud at all, although that will soon change with the addition of some LTs.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you want deep, NON raspy exhaust, leave the resonators on.
I originally cut them out among with X pipe/muffler delete only to install them again.
Sounded like a farm truck at idle. Didn't match the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, I ran Doug Thorley LT's (no cats), kept the resonators, replaced mid-muffler with an x-pipe, and kept the stock axle backs. Great sound at wot, but very tame idle and cruising speed. No drone. I wanted something louder so I got solo-axle backs. Now, the car is monster truck loud, like power boat had sex with a nascar and the baby is my G8. BUT, still no drone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.