Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2009 G8 Gt and the only other mod I have is a Roto-fab CAI. I was told by SLP directly that their diablo is hands down the best tune for the G8 Gt. I figured well they built the fire hawk G8 GT so they must know. I purchased it from them, installed it and see some nice changes in the way the car picks up. After reading through this forum I see that most of you have the cortex superchips tune. I started to research that and it seems very close to the same thing. Can anyone tell me if I will see a huge difference in the superchip vs the SLP tuned Diablo. If its truely worth it I will order it today however I figured I would ask the pros.

·
Red Sox Nation !!!
2,665 Posts
I went with the SC based on past experience. SLP did me wrong a few times on my 99' Z28. Never looked back.

But to be fair SC did me wrong once with a C5 tuner. But only once.

·
Custom Tuner
153 Posts
the only advantage that superchips has at this point is that they can adjust the tranny settings...

but as for the engine side of the tune, the diablo...

and, if you get a diablo Trinity for your car instead of a predator, then you'll be able to update it with the tcm support update when it's available, as well as another update being worked on to allow you to tune more than one vehicle at a time (3-5)... ;)

plus, you can get custom tunes created specifically for your car with either the diablo trinity or predator, by a diablosport CMR tuner... (there's no custom tuning for superchips stuff)

·
Registered
237 Posts
A handheld tuner isn't going to get you THAT much power, so a large part of its benefit is the ability to adjust the transmission behavior. Superchips does it, Diablo does not. Also, you can tune two vehicles with a single Cortex, you've just got to pay $199 for the ability. I'd consider it if it were more like $100.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A feature of the diablosport that I like, that I wish the cortex had was the ability to change wheel/tire sizes to correct the speedometer as well as the shift points. The 1-2 inch taller wheel/tire combo will cause both speedo and shift points to be incorrect.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
i understand the speedo being off.

but how would the rpm shifts be incorrect?

i thought that was based on your engine rpms. nothing to do with tire size.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You are correct about the shift points directly from the engine rpm, that was written in error. I meant to say the taller wheel/tire combo would alter the final drive gear ratio. It would make your vehicle a bit slower in the quarter mile.
In theory, and I'm sure some one will chime in, a g8 with the 18 inch wheel/tire combo would run a little faster than the same g8 with 20inch wheel/tire combo. Obviously this is no fault of the cortex but I thought I would bring it up anyway.
However, I did speak with Scott from superchips and he informed me that their people could add that option to the cortex but it would require approval from management. The company wanted to see how great of a demand there would be for this option so I will be starting a thread very soon trying to rally for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts