Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this problem(see video)? Just started on Saturday during a drive; has not gone away since.

I'm guessing one of the LCD controllers has gone bad. I fear that means I'll have to get the instrument cluster replaced, so looking for any suggestions before I go down that road :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaX_R6tve50" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaX_R6tve50"> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaX_R6tve50" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Good luck with it, haven't seen anything like that b4

·
Premium Member
4,184 Posts
Looks bad. You could at least down-power the Instrument panel by pulling fuse F5-10A labeled INSP/DISP/REA/DLC located in the rear fuse panel. If there's an ongoing glitch/lockup happening, maybe 1 minute without that hot battery bus power (being supplied to it), will cause a reset.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks bad. You could at least down-power the Instrument panel by pulling fuse F5-10A labeled INSP/DISP/REA/DLC located in the rear fuse panel. If there's an ongoing glitch/lockup happening, maybe 1 minute without that hot battery bus power (being supplied to it), will cause a reset.
Tried this tonight, no luck :( Thanks for the suggestion!

Literally closed on a new house today, so this will have to wait a week or two before I can get it into a dealer(also have to find a new dealer....)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my 09 g8 gt is having the same problem what did you have to do to fix the problem if you have fixed it I have been looking every where for a solution

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi my 09 g8 gt is having the same problem what did you have to do to fix the problem if you have fixed it I have been looking every where for a solution
We hope you're able to find the information you're looking for here on the forum, shokilla1. Sorry for any trouble you've experienced with the DIC in your G8 GT. If there's anything we can do to help, we're just a private message away.

Amber N.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
94 Posts
What does the self test in engineering mode do?
This. I have basically no knowledge on how our DICs actually work, but it seems if you self tested and the full screen lights up (like its supposed to) that would eliminate the display itself. If it does the same thing then its probably the screen.

FYI: Im pretty sure the self test option is at the bottom of the engineering mode menu. Someone should confirm this though, Im away from my car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
...FYI: Im pretty sure the self test option is at the bottom of the engineering mode menu. Someone should confirm this though, Im away from my car.
That's correct. I was futzin' around in my car last weekend and trying to find it. I finally discovered it at the end of a long list of other stuff. Might be good to add how to enter engineering mode: with the key off, hold down the "ENTER" button and then turn the key to "ON" position.

c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had the same thing happen to me. Tried the self-test in engineering mode. Whole screen lit up, w/ no lines across the display. As soon as i went out of engineering mode, display was all glitchy again.

Apparently, the cluster software on my g8 isn't the latest. Was going to see if updating/reprogramming would solve the issue. Hoping the cluster doesn't need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have a cluster out of a. 2008 GT , very little miles on it, sitting in my basement for about 5 years now....I purchased as spare....willing to sell if anybody needs it. Pm me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Typically the driver or the panel itself fails, this is common on the AAPL units. We stock BRAND NEW clusters at more than half off what a dealership would charge you AND you don't have to worry about the tamper flag that gets set and says "hey look at me my Odometer isn't correct" when using used clusters :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried the self test - the bottom half still has problems(all the pixels do light up, but not at the same time), which points back to the controller.

I found a local company in Richmond that does cluster repairs, so I sent them my video today; waiting to hear back from them. I don't know if they'd touch this problem or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me know how that goes for you, TheCapn. I am located up in Northern Virginia, but if they are able to fix it cheaper then the dealer, then I would def be interested in bringing it down there.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Let me know how that goes for you, TheCapn. I am located up in Northern Virginia, but if they are able to fix it cheaper then the dealer, then I would def be interested in bringing it down there.
At the dealer the part alone is ~$800. IF this place cant repair for a decent price again we can get you a new cluster ready to go plug and play for half of that; don't even bother with the dealer ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I as well have had a problem with my display. I noticed it was only during the hottest days of summer(Tucson, Az) when the display would not be clear and it would only be a prt of it, and as the inside the car would cool, it would display correctly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up purchasing one from the gentleman above earlier this year. Took a while to turn around, but it worked like a charm. I did buy one off ebay and swapped the displays to see if that fixed it, but it did not. I also did not have any lucky with getting any local places to take a look at repairing it. The boards themselves don't lend themselves to self-repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ended up purchasing one from the gentleman above earlier this year. Took a while to turn around, but it worked like a charm. I did buy one off ebay and swapped the displays to see if that fixed it, but it did not. I also did not have any lucky with getting any local places to take a look at repairing it. The boards themselves don't lend themselves to self-repair.
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts