Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
They were all built when the Chevelle/Malibu (or the "A" or "G" platform) was full body on frame, rear wheel drive- exactly what you want in a tow car.
Yes and unless I am mistaken the El Camino was often based on the A/G body WAGON frame which was slightly more heavy duty than the coupe/sedan frames. A lot of drag racers stated that the Elky's would actually hook up better than their coupe counterparts due to that added mass of the frame on the rear. I could be mistaken but I believe this to be the case. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes and unless I am mistaken the El Camino was often based on the A/G body WAGON frame which was slightly more heavy duty than the coupe/sedan frames. A lot of drag racers stated that the Elky's would actually hook up better than their coupe counterparts due to that added mass of the frame on the rear. I could be mistaken but I believe this to be the case. :)
Close.

The '59 and '60 were based on the full size wagon (Impala) frame.

The '64-'77 were based on the Chevelle wagon frame.

The '78-'87 ('88) had their own dedicated frame not shared with anything else.

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Close.

The '59 and '60 were based on the full size wagon (Impala) frame.

The '64-'77 were based on the Chevelle wagon frame.

The '78-'87 ('88) had their own dedicated frame not shared with anything else.
Thank you for correcting me. I wasn't quite sure of the 78-87's but it seems they had their own separate frame. I take it was more sturdy/heavier than the coupe and sedan frames though???

I'm still depressed. Although I did cram the bed full of aluminum cans this morning in my El Camino and hauled them to the recycling center. (NOTE: They wouldn't have fit in a trunk) It's the light duty stuff that takes space that a sedan can't do that I really miss having a NEW Ute/ST to do. :(

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
I have to pipe in in favor of the El Camino and G8 ST. To this day the mere glimpse of an El Camino (or even a Ranchero GASP!) catches my attention. I have always loved them, especially between '68 and '72. I was always jealous that Pontiac hadn't offered one. The GMC Sprint was as close as I could get and they are very rare. I would have been really torn to choose an ST over a GT, or even GXP, if it had been offered (even though it wouldn't have been as practical for me). I know my dad was hoping to replace his '95 S-10 with one, and he feels the same way about all of the Utes. Unfortunately, where Utes are concerned there seems to be no middle ground. People love 'em (ME!) or people hate 'em (some of those above). My girlfriend has the audacity to call them "the mullet of cars." I'm working on "fixing" her flawed way of thinking!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you for correcting me. I wasn't quite sure of the 78-87's but it seems they had their own separate frame. I take it was more sturdy/heavier than the coupe and sedan frames though???

I'm still depressed. Although I did cram the bed full of aluminum cans this morning in my El Camino and hauled them to the recycling center. (NOTE: They wouldn't have fit in a trunk) It's the light duty stuff that takes space that a sedan can't do that I really miss having a NEW Ute/ST to do. :(
The 78-87 style was a slightly longer wheelbase than any of the other variations, including the wagon. The Malibu coupe was gone after 1981, but the Monte Carlo (dubbed G special) shared its wheelbase (the coupe, that is). The longer wheelbase gave these last generation El Caminos a very nice ride, even with tight shocks and the standard rear air shocks (which I removed from my '81). That was another reason it was such a fine towing vehicle- as long as you werent towing a 35' Cigarette..:)

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
Not to rub salt in the wound (I'd be doing it to myself also), but Holden is getting ready to introduce a couple of new colors to the Commodore lineup.

Hazard:

Wildfire:

And my new personal favorite,

Poison Ivy:

:drool::drool:

·
I miss Pontiac & G8 ST
510 Posts
Those colors are awesome. We never get that kind of variety of color here. It's like people are afraid or bright colors here in the states. I would have had a hard time deciding which to get a ST in. That green is very nice, but I also love orange and yellow says "look at me" too. :D

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
sccaGTO, that is just cruel! Man I would have loved to get a G8 GXP in Hazard, I'm kind of partial to yellow, and it would look great beside my very rare (1 of 14 Sunbird SE in that color with V-6/5-speed) Code 52 yellow '93 Sunbird.

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
sccaGTO, that is just cruel! Man I would have loved to get a G8 GXP in Hazard, I'm kind of partial to yellow, and it would look great beside my very rare (1 of 14 Sunbird SE in that color with V-6/5-speed) Code 52 yellow '93 Sunbird.
Yeah, well, fell bad for me too. I won't have the ability to buy my ST in Poison Ivy. :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wonder if Earl Scheib can repaint a G8 in one of these colors.....for $29.95! LOL! :drink:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts