Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have a topic already about the best oil to use, but as it gets closer to my time to change my oil I am going to use the K&N performance oil filter sense they seem to do a good job of keeping the oil clean and they are durable, and as far as oil why do most people recommend synthetic oil? I don't understand I thought synthetic oil was fake? That is what my uncle says but then again he hates Pontiac and yet he drives a GMC envoy :banghead: which frustrates me, but moving on why synthetic? And I have been told to use certain oil I just want something for performance and protection. Thanks for the help and comments.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
An honest to goodness - non-corner cutting - Synthetic Oil is formed using synthesized chains rather than a petroleum base oil. Some companies have been known to use highly refined oils while calling them "Full Synthetic," which they can get away with in the US due to lower Regulations. The question is, what does that change? I don't know for sure...

Though, back to Conv vs Synth, on mile #2,500, your conventionally oiled engine will exhibit more wear in its warm up cycle than the 2,500 mile synthetic. It's incrementally negligible, but over time can be significant. The conventional oil will tend to stick to parts and creates more build up over time. The stuff that makes it into the intake will run less readily, and will create larger gunk deposits in your intake ports on the heads, thus disrupting airflow (again, incrementally).

So, it isn't BS. It's just... how long will you have the car, and what do you expect to get out of it?

Conventional oil is not going to damage a motor. There are new chemicals on the market that handle the gunk just fine (like sea foam). Most people won't own a car for long enough to see the difference. However, there IS a big difference, and it all has to do with flow after it starts to break down.

In a high performance motor I consider Synthetic to be a MUST. Most manufacturers are even moving to synthetic for their I-4s. Tigher tolerances require cleaner and smaller molecule chains.

What is Synthetic Oil? - Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional Oil

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An honest to goodness - non-corner cutting - Synthetic Oil is formed using synthesized chains rather than a petroleum base oil. Some companies have been known to use highly refined oils while calling them "Full Synthetic," which they can get away with in the US due to lower Regulations. The question is, what does that change? I don't know for sure...

Though, back to Conv vs Synth, on mile #2,500, your conventionally oiled engine will exhibit more wear in its warm up cycle than the 2,500 mile synthetic. It's incrementally negligible, but over time can be significant. The conventional oil will tend to stick to parts and creates more build up over time. The stuff that makes it into the intake will run less readily, and will create larger gunk deposits in your intake ports on the heads, thus disrupting airflow (again, incrementally).

So, it isn't BS. It's just... how long will you have the car, and what do you expect to get out of it?

Conventional oil is not going to damage a motor. There are new chemicals on the market that handle the gunk just fine (like sea foam). Most people won't own a car for long enough to see the difference. However, there IS a big difference, and it all has to do with flow after it starts to break down.

In a high performance motor I consider Synthetic to be a MUST. Most manufacturers are even moving to synthetic for their I-4s. Tigher tolerances require cleaner and smaller molecule chains.

What is Synthetic Oil? - Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional Oil
Thanks! That is my answer ! Thanks for the help man.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I switched to Synthetic a while back for everything i drive (we have 7 cars). It's last longer when sitting for non daily drivers, isn't really that much more expensive in the grand scheme of things, and Jova summarized very succinctly the advantages.

I have heard you don't want to bounce back and forth. Switch to synthetic at any time -- but then stick with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts