Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last night I finally got a chance to swing out to a track and get some new numbers. Ended up at Dallas Raceway. I've added Kooks LT's, HF cats, HSRK, and a 160* since my last runs. My previous best is in my sig and last night I was only able to run a best of 13.306. I did have wheel hop from 1-2, and it held 3rd out too long before finally shifting into 4th which I know didnt help me at all. Ive noticed a significant drop in highway fuel milage a few days after installing the 160* and hsrk so I dont know whats going on there. I was getting between224-26mpg running 80 but has since dropped off to 21-22. I unplugged the hsrk today cause theres no way just a thermostat would do that. Gonna see what it will do over the next few days with hsrk off. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
After a thermostat change I was told a retune would be good to adjust for that in the fans to run the car cooler, which in turn would help with quicker times I would hope. A colder car is a happier car. HSRK was probably your friend, and if you had unhooked it, it would have been worse. All that does is relocate the sensor. Without my HSRK I rum 30-40 degrees hotter, and I run the efficient ls7 card. Love my HSRK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I forgot to include that it was retuned on the dyno after the header install. Havent had the fans adjusted yet but ive only gotten as hot as 86*C monitering it in engineering mode. Car had lost of time to cool before the run. I had mentioned in the retune thread I had that the car would only take 20* of timing on 93oct, should have been around 24. So I only saw 14hp peak gain.

I was running the hsrk last night, just took it off today but havent drove it any yet

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
104mph before now what's the MPH now?
I've been to the track just once since my headers and intake. Although I ran almost the same et my MPH was up by 3.

I think that 3-4th hang up has a good bit to do with that too. Seamed like right after it wouod finally shift I hit the finish

·
Camshaft Master
126 Posts
Good lord.. I trapped 107 stock.. wtf..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
those mods should have gained you more than 14hp
Oh I know, and havent been happy thats all I got. But im missing out on 4* of advance cause its sensing knock at anything past 20*. I dont know if I had a ****ty batch of gas that day or what. Gonna get up with my tuner and see if we can log now on different gas.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Are you confident in the TCM tune also? Seems like what you mentioned about shifting could be funny and that would make a difference also. Still, 369hp is pretty damn impressive with all bolt-on's but seems you should be running a little bit faster. I'm sure you were hoping for high 12's. Also, what tires were you running at the track and did you have any weight in the trunk? Did you adjust/drop tire pressure also?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seams like I've read before about having to prime the trans for the 3-4 shift. So I know im not the only one thats ever happened to. Though I am debating lowering the 3-4 shift point by a hair. And yes I wanted to see 12.Xx more than anything. Im running 275/35/19 hankook v12's at normal street pressure.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Join the club of ****ty times when you think you should be faster.

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
The 3-4 flare happens at the track when you turn your car off and then go up to the staging lanes WITHOUT getting into 4th gear. IF you do not get into 4th on the way to the staging lanes then you need to do a 1st - 4th burnout. As in you start in 1st and keep manually up shifting through the gears and rolling out of it in 4th. Getting into 4th gear only ONCE is the key. Then you can go back to 1st.
FYI, this will need to be down if you turn your car off at the track.
This is a very well known issue for us.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Wait what is that issue with 3-4 shift?

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
The 3-4 flare happens at the track when you turn your car off and then go up to the staging lanes WITHOUT getting into 4th gear. IF you do not get into 4th on the way to the staging lanes then you need to do a 1st - 4th burnout. As in you start in 1st and keep manually up shifting through the gears and rolling out of it in 4th. Getting into 4th gear only ONCE is the key. Then you can go back to 1st.
FYI, this will need to be down if you turn your car off at the track.
This is a very well known issue for us.

Very interesting. Also, Dumb question. Were you running traction control on or off? In general, do most turn it off for the drag strip?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.