Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do y'all think of using lead sheeting of 1/16" to make some gaskets for the ball and socket flanges on the headers?

Looking for a creative way to both ensure that leaks don't appear on the connections as well as preventing them from seizing together (making disassembly a PITA).

Seems that it wouldn't tear and I could cut it in a circular donut shape and crush against the ball with the socket.

Yes? No?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I say pass. Pick up a marmon flange set {with or without gasket} - it will justify the mig/tig welder purchase. When my SW's go in, it will be with marmon connections.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd say to try the copper high heat sealant. May do nothing, but might be just enough to help it seal.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say pass. Pick up a marmon flange set {with or without gasket} - it will justify the mig/tig welder purchase. When my SW's go in, it will be with marmon connections.
Definitely in the future plans. Right now, though, I've got no place for the welder. The workshop is in the 1 year plan. After that, I'm getting a Miller Multimatic 215 (hopefully can find a used one) for the welding. It'll probably be a little bit after that before I'm good enough to start messing around with thin walled tubing. :D

Though, it isn't something I can really do just yet.

I'd say to try the copper high heat sealant. May do nothing, but might be just enough to help it seal.
I guess that's better than working with lead. You know, they sell this stuff as a "craft making" thing like it's not toxic.... LOL Lead is your friend....

·
Registered
589 Posts
I guess that's better than working with lead. You know, they sell this stuff as a "craft making" thing like it's not toxic.... LOL Lead is your friend....
Haha. Just don't eat it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah.... I'm still kind of considering it as an option, but at the moment I've not found a reasonable amount of material other than a whole roll of it.

The only thing that bugs me about RTV is if the top connection at the collector gets above the rated temperature of the sealant that it'll burn up and causing leaks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah.... I'm still kind of considering it as an option, but at the moment I've not found a reasonable amount of material other than a whole roll of it.

The only thing that bugs me about RTV is if the top connection at the collector gets above the rated temperature of the sealant that it'll burn up and causing leaks.
Oh yeah. Forgot the mids have the connection above the cats. Maybe it's time for long tubes? :wink3:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL.... Maybe in the future when I do the bottom end rebuild.... You know.... over bore, stroker, and shave the heads... LOL

I just can't justify doing that until at least a year after I build the workshop and do other house projects that need to be done..... instead of the car.... :D

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'd just join the two pcs together and see where the high spots are. Then gently grind so the connections fit really well.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, the only thing I saw when I finally got them apart was what looked like seepage but no direct evidence of leaking. They were also seized together pretty well. It's the pulling apart that really has me thinking "gasket material" with the benefit of leak prevention as well as anti-seizing material....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Jova007200
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing