Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks everyone. Yes the Adam's PC kit seals the deal. Unfortunately I don't think you can polish out the damage sanding will do by hand. You can try though, but I know the PC makes it a lot quicker (and really quick if you have a buffer and know what you're doing).

I'd recommend pulling the car out in the sun and maneuver around the sanded areas after you've polished to make sure you've got it all. I noticed a small spot on the top of my bumper in front of my headlight that needs some more polishing. Again, a tough spot to get the full PC pad on.

In this instance, you actually may be able to go with the Adams 4" Pad kit:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-430-adams-4-spot-pad-buffing-kit-w-free-4oz-apc.aspx

I may order this kit up. You can attach to your drill and go at the smaller spots and this is MUCH cheaper than the full PC kit. However, this will turn you're drill into a rotary buffer so you have to be more careful with heat.

I actually think I'm going to get this kit and go at some of my smaller spots for father's day now that I'm thinking about it. This could be a very cheap solution for those who want to touch spots up but don't want to drop $300 on the PC kit. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's a good job you've done there. I'm thinking about painting my new spoiler myself, if I can ever get the nerve to try and do so. Hats off to ya Homie.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks. If you are planning on having it professionally painting, doesn't hurt to try something yourself first. They can always fix whatever you screw up....and who knows, it may come out looking halfway decent. Practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You deserve a plate from "Nicks" for that job man!!! Nice work
Just had one out on lyell ave on my way home from buffalo a few hours ago...cheeseburg' plate, beans, home fries, sauce only, num num num.

Back on topic, has anyone tried touchups on a white car yet? I dont know if it is more or less forgiving than the metallic colors. I would guess it's easier, but I'm totally inexperienced with this stuff

·
Registered
508 Posts
very cool! where did the touch up paint come from? and that was a pen? or lie a nail polish brush?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Now I know I've got to get that Adam's kit. Very nice!

·
Now it's a Party
2,089 Posts
Reviving an older, amazing thread. This will be very helpful come Spring. I might just give this a try on the 4 or 5 spots I have on my bumper. I do have 2 or 3 little spots on my hood but I'm not sure if I have the guts to try the hood. LOL.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Awesome job and great writing! Bookmarked this for the future. Do not have a paint chip so far after 6k miles, knock on wood ...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's a good thing this thread is still alive...all my hard work is getting demolished by our winter...again. Damn salt. I'll have to refer to this when I hit it again this summer. I may get more aggressive this time and see what happens...I think I'm looking for an excuse to get a GXP bumper :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's always going to be a chip! But only had the G8 a month and the first road trip gives me a BIG chip! Sounds like some work, but for the G8 it's worth it! Will work on it later this month and report back. With before and after pictures. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Great job, I dont know if i trust myself, lol.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have a few but I also don't trust myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
48 Posts
Someone scraped the corner of my bumper when I was parked in a garage downtown, of course no note or anything. Took some paint off, down to the fiberglass in a couple small spots. I have about three, two inch scratches, about an eighth of an inch wide. I have no idea how well this is gonna work, but I'm gonna use your guide and see what I can do. I figure it can't look any worse than it does now - worst case I'll get a new bumper, which is where I'm at at this point anyway. Wish me luck!

·
BigCasnio
525 Posts
I have a similar situation dushea. I bought my car with a roughed up bumper. It appears that the rear bumper along the driver side was scraped pretty good, the bumper is actually dented just a touch, but the paint looks to have been bunched together in one place. This should work. I bought a small scratch fix kit with sand paper and it helped a bit, but I'd like to smooth this baby up. I think it would be possible with this Step by Step. I am AMAZED that the hood looks that good after just a little clear coat spray! Good job dude.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
44 Participants
ProjectGTSV
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing