Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Nice Weather, Please?
775 Posts
LOL, I needed a laugh!

Where did you end up going to have your X pipe installed?
I bought the X-pipe off amazon, and the stainless pipe (2 - 4ft pieces) from Summitracing. A buddy of mine has a welder so we just tac-welded it in my garage, and I took it to a welding shop to have it completed. Total cost was around $180.00, but this is for all stainless (even welds). I am sure you can save quite a bit by going aluminized steel.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Very cool, have to meet up again soon, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
did you get any codes doing this mod? im thinking of just taking my 2 resonators off in the back by the mufflers off first then adding xpipes the gm dealer said doing this will make the check engine light come on

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You won't get a CEL with this mod, all 02 sensors are before the x pipe. Your dealer is wrong.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yea I noticed that 2 ..... Thanx..... One more question I have a 08 g8 gt what size xpipe do I need to look for ?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
2.25 inch

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanx a lot :)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
No problem, good luck on with your modding addiction. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just did mine yesterday. I welded mine up though. I love my miller 140a! Anyway I was a little disappointed at the lack of sound increase. This thing is still quiet as a mouse!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
greatest thing since sliced bread. Only costs ya $0.50 cents. (unless you go for the high-grade performance washers...which I think are $1).

Slap them in the bolts of the exhaust back where your axlebacks connect, and wallah! Instant noise!

I did this for awhile (no joke)...it actually does a decent job for as much as we poke fun at it. Lots of posts about it (I know I had a few about it).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Currently running it til the kooks get here. WOOT!

·
Crimson Cruiser
143 Posts
Great post and I love the bang for the buck out of this mod. I am curious though.

I had planned on putting headers on, but I really don't want to void what's left of the powertrain warranty.. especially considering I just purchased the car last month. If I do though, I'll probably keep the GT mufflers for the neighbors sake. I leave for work at 6:30 everyday.
I am concerned about keeping my power train warranty intake as well. I am doing appearance only mods until the 5 years/100k is up. I figured the mods you did would be enough to void the warranty. What can you change and still get away with? I know the cortex you can reflash but a tech can still see the change in the file and bust you.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I know the cortex you can reflash but a tech can still see the change in the file and bust you.
Wait... what?

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that were true this day in age. There more than likely is a log that stores an ecu/tcu flash count and I've flashed the tcu countless times trying to figure out where I like it best.
Even if the headers didn't void the warranty, it'd be a catless setup and have the o2s tuned out anyway unless I went with o2 sims, but I'd likely get a livernois/vms tune at that point. I guess headers will be coming sooner than later now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What type of clamps did you use? the big collar type or the little U type? Awesome little thread by the way really helpful!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
With the X installed and no axle backs on it was a little too loud. I liked it, but I drive it everyday, including going to work at 6:30. I'm not trying to wake the neighborhood, which will definitely be the case post LTs. I like my "adjustable" gas cans for the time being :)

And I just used regular old muffler clamps from the parts store.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
How's the drone?

Non-existent. I took the advice of others and placed 1 washer on each bottom bolt, but not the top bolts. It seems with a washer on top the sound resonates upwards causing the drone.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Non-existent. I took the advice of others and placed 1 washer on each bottom bolt, but not the top bolts. It seems with a washer on top the sound resonates upwards causing the drone.
If you add a second washer it will get a little louder. I have 2 washers on each lower bolt. I get a decent sound but there is some drone in the car, hopefully when I get an X pipe it will help eliminate some of it. Until I do, I've had it in since last summer with no intention of taking them off til I get a set of SOLO's or something super cheap. :)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts