Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Great post and I love the bang for the buck out of this mod. I am curious though.

I am concerned about keeping my power train warranty intake as well. I am doing appearance only mods until the 5 years/100k is up. I figured the mods you did would be enough to void the warranty. What can you change and still get away with? I know the cortex you can reflash but a tech can still see the change in the file and bust you.
Negative, it doesn't add new files, it changes what is there and changes back if you flash back to stock. Basically untraceable unless someone is really tyring to find something, but your basic tech will not find anything.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I did this mod on Monday for you guys in Orlando the exhaust guy is on Golden Rod between Lake Under Hill and 50 opposite the Mobil station, nice guy and he has a drag car..took 20 mins and $120:00 I supplied the X Pipe ..he showed me the restrictions with the mid muffler and the resinators so off they came,I purchased a set of GXP Axle backs from a member here 2 weeks ago so they were already installed...Suprise... it is Not loud ..no cruise drone even when the DOD cuts in ...BUT...Stand on it and heads turn a real sleeper I Love it....I am waiting on a set Of Red Back Mufflers from Down Under, when they get here the GXP's will be on the market, for those of you who are interested in them , please make one line here.
For those of you who asked about the Washer mod look for my post a few weeks ago...a Big Improvement in Sound... Increase in Performance absolutely NONE....:)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
bump this all the way to the top lol this was with stock axlebacks???
When I started the Op, I still had stock axle-backs. Now I have a DIY version of the Solo's also.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm not in anyway criticizing, great write up and great photos. Just one question. Isn't the c-pipe a little close to the front? I've read several different articles about all cars being different as far as the optimal placement of the X-pipe, so just wondering if this was what you came up with or did you just put it wherever? Again, just asking. Good job overall.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It's true that the optimal placement is vehicle dependent. The best way to tell where to place the X-pipe is to paint the stock exhaust and then run the car hard to heat it up. You check it again to see where the paint has faded and well.. "X marks the spot."

If you look at the mid muffler on a stock setup (even unpainted) there's a brownish line in that exact spot. It just happened to be in the perfect place.

FYI, when I say to paint it, I don't mean go nuts manifold to tailpipe. It'll generally be in the same area on most vehicles, but different flow characteristics are what changes the position.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
583 Posts
Fantastic write up sir. I love that blue by the way!

Do you guys think that a 2.5in x pipe will work? Don't want an exhaust shop saying they can't make it work when welding it in.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Fantastic write up sir. I love that blue by the way!

Do you guys think that a 2.5in x pipe will work? Don't want an exhaust shop saying they can't make it work when welding it in.

They could make a 2.5" work, but they'd have to crush it down or use adapters to make it fit before welding. The stock exhaust is 2.25", so it'd be easier just to stick with that size IMO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just completed this install yesterday and it’s sounding good I love it.....install wasn’t too bad, I did have to make some cuts and get some couplers I got the 2.5” x- pipe so it threw off my install slightly but I got it in...I used clamps but will he taking it to get welded. my right exhaust tip is tilted up slightly the left is fine but no rattles or shakes or anything over bumps so I’m happy I just know it needs minor tweaking....now I just started it this morning to move spots in the garage I work at and couldn’t do a remote start of course because the CEL ......I installed a CAI this weekend as well too think that paired with the x pipe could make it come on? I’m going to get the light read when I get off this morning just curious if I need to look into getting a tune...but the x-pipe is after the o2 so not sure what the code will be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So by the time I got home and parked left it idling for a minute waiting for GF to come down so we could go to Autozone when she got in and I pulled off the code cleared itself I went and got it read small emission leak but it’s gone now

41 - 55 of 55 Posts