Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a hard time trying to break traction in 1st gear!

I have the stock RSAs that are half used, they are setup to 39psi and gosh the first gear seems to be way too tall for the tires to have enough torque demand to break loose.

Even on cold and wet days its hard to loose traction i mean i have around 250lbs-ft of torque available. Even at high RPM in first it will not loose traction.

Am I stuck with a low performance monday morning car? I know the engine was changed not too long ago and the techs said they put a different engine maybe CTS, because they could not find the right G8 engine but... i find it odd, as it should be the same engine? Maybe an adjustment tune is required for the CTS engine? If CTS engine the car really has...

What are your thoughts? Do your V6 feel as slow as mine?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Well, mine was the same way It's the tm that prevents you spinning. After a tune you will have no problem burning the tires off the lone and chirping the tires. After a few more mode I can roast the tires in second and spin shifting into third. Once the mod bug hits you it will not be long and you will want to know now to get some traction back.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think he has a v6, so not sure what tune options he has, but Morris is right, torque management is what keeps the wheels from spinning.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yes, he has a V6, this is posted in the V6 section of G8 Talk.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed I have the V6. I know the GT guys have problem KEEPING traction :p

May I know what is that TM everybody's talking about? is it the TCS (or ESP for our cars?)

By the way how does your ESP works? Does it gauge wheel spin and apply brake to the wheel spinning faster, while reducing power? My accord v6 6speed did so. And if I turn ESP off, the help is COMPLETELY off? Both the brake applying to spinning wheel + power cutting turn off?

I wish the brake applying thing could stay on even with the ESP off... would act as a cheap LSD :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
no, my v6 is the same.
actual rwhp/rwtq aren't nearly as high as you think for our v6 cars. only around 210ish at the wheels.
there is power there, but its a very heavy at the same time...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
going 3.70 will definitly get this huge ass moving. a 80kmh tall first gear would be at around 60kmh with 3.70.

It would FEEL normal that way.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Ah, I didn't notice the v6 when I was mangling that post on my phone. I have never driven the v6 so I can't really comment on what it would take. I do think the gears would be a good first step though.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
The tcs on will keep her from spinning,I leave mine on all the time so I don't worry bout launching hard. The CTS and our car share the 3.6,so don't worry about change. I to can fry them with tcs off so don't worry.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Goodyear RSAs here too. Just over 40,000 miles so most of the meat is gone on the back two.

Dry: From a dead stop in a straight line I never loose traction unless there is some sand, dirt, gravel underneath them. If I'm accelerating from a dead stop and turning it's a different story. Turn TC off and they'll both smoke up.

Wet: They'll spin if I don't feather the throttle. Straight, turning, doesn't matter. Add an incline and it can get frustrating. Been like that since I bought it with 8K miles.

One wet day I was coming out of a parking lot and had just put change in the console accidentally hitting the traction control button turning it off. Next thing I knew the rear end was sliding out and my two boys (12 and 13) were laughing and telling me to stop showing off :driving:

On another note: the CTS comes with two V6 engines. A 3.6 and a 2.8. Are you sure you have a 3.6?

If it is a 3.6 then the power numbers are roughly equivalent.

-Dennis-

·
Registered
491 Posts
AFAIK, between the CTS 3.6, the G8 3.6, and the G6 GXP 3.6 the blocks are all identical. It's the other bolt-on crap that gives the slight differences in power, namely the differences in factory tunes, intakes and exhaust.

I had my long block replaced with a new 2009 G6 GXP engine with no discernible difference in power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy from whom i bought it from said he'd been told it was an engine with higher HP probably from CTS. BUT i highly doubt that, unless its high RPM HP which i rarely use. Its too slow to be over the stock V6 i am certain.

Thanks for sharing kidhauler. I would have thought it could break traction way easier then that considering it still has 250 lbs-ft of torque. After seeing how bizarre the 5 speed tranny is geared i understand everything now. The only performance mod this car will ever see is a rear diff... Either LSD 3.45 or 3.70

I dont want to do pricey mods, as only 2 or 3 grands more i would have bought a GT instead :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
For <$300 you can add a CAI. It wakes up the motor in the high end. I also took out the resonators and mid-muffler from the midpipe and put in an x-pipe. That changed the tone of the exhaust quite a bit. That cost $180 labor included.

Beyond that you're looking at the axleback from Solo for $500. Quad tips look nice on the back ;)

-Dennis-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I kind of like the stock tips that way.

As for performance mods im not quite interested... If i want performance i'll get a performant car, like the GT or any other performance oriented ones. I just want to feel a little more torque then what i feel right now. 250lbs-ft feels like 150 and i am certain V6 owners think the same.
The v8 breaks traction without drivers wanting to but the v6 can barely do it when drivers try hard. I am disapointed in the "kick" this car gives.

Gears is probably what i am going to do in not too long.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Higher HP CTS? Only difference is that the 3.6 liter V6 in the CTS is direct injection. (Or at least the newer ones are. Plus the Caddy is running either a 6 spd MT or Auto. I leave my traction on all the time. w/o it you turn tail.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Traction control on or off on a normal dry road ain't going to make a difference because you cant spin the tires enough to activate the T/C.The only time i shut mine off is when its raining because it kicks in so easily and i dont like how it kills the throttle so suddenly and how the car in your rear view mirror gets suddenly closer to your bumper.Tune it for the low end from 0-60 and hope it helps.And the transmission cant be tuned because its already maxed out right from the factory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always thought that my V6 felt underpowered right from brand new (couldn't spin the wheels in rain, on a turn with TCM off), (but since the only comparable cars I could get my hands on were G8 GT's and V-6 Camaro's, I couldn't test it) but when the check engine light came on after 2 years of owning it I took it to the dealer. Long story short, after 1 month in the shop and all new internals (pistons, crank, rods, cam, etc.) i got it back and it felt like a whole different car. I could spin 1 tire (HAHA no-LSD) all day in the rain (Not so much on dry pavement).
I still wonder, was it a Monday Morning or Friday Afternoon car??? LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah... the V6 really sucks as its mated to a low-stall 80kmh first gear 5speed transmission (that is known to break on BMW models)

It DOES move the car pretty well in town in 1-2-3rd. But when you want more it just does not have it.

I wish i had chosen a GT to start with. Now im looking either buying a 2012 civic or keeping that lovely G8 that costs plenty in gas for no power

1 - 18 of 18 Posts