Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a cam from lingenfelter gt12 "227/235 duration @ .050 lift - .614/.621 lift with 1.7 rocker" and i am just wondering would you guys recommend porting the head and change intake valve if yes which intake valve?

the car is 2009 g8 gt it has cai, full exhaust system, deleted dod and soon cam when i am done i will post a video :smile2:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I priced it out with Advanced Induction. It's pricey, and for the street it just wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I elected not to port them. It was about $1,100 bucks for the porting job you'd want.

Sorry, that was unclear how they put it. I just meant that I priced it out and elected not to do it since it's just a street car.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Not where I would spend my money, our heads flow good enough. Get the LS3 intake valves they will rev higher and you can utilized that with the cam. Get them backcut and maybe a good 3 angle valve job.

·
Registered
341 Posts
And mill the heads to get the CR up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, milling them will raise the Compression. How about "Pocket Porting the heads", that can't cost that much. A full on Porting job, yes. A tuner would give the best advice on the "Pro's & Con's" of the outcome.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yep, milling them will raise the Compression. How about "Pocket Porting the heads", that can't cost that much. A full on Porting job, yes. A tuner would give the best advice on the "Pro's & Con's" of the outcome.
It's still spending money just to spend money. L92s are not going to benefit much from porting anyways until you get into forced induction where you need to enhance the flow.

It would maybe be half the cost, but then you might find negligible gains. That money is best spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
341 Posts
How about the RCR Airram intake? Most people feel it is worthy, based mostly on track numbers. I bought one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's still spending money just to spend money. L92s are not going to benefit much from porting anyways until you get into forced induction where you need to enhance the flow.

It would maybe be half the cost, but then you might find negligible gains. That money is best spent elsewhere.

Hold the fort, '09 G8/GT had a L76, not L92. Same bottom end I'm presuming, but the Induction was different correct?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hold the fort, '09 G8/GT had a L76, not L92. Same bottom end I'm presuming, but the Induction was different correct?
The L76 uses the base LS2 block with an increased bore and AFM channels (I am not clear on other modifications). Also, it utilizes the LS3 Intake Manifold and the L92 cylinder heads. Since we were talking about head porting, I was referring to the heads being L92. Casting 821.

Essentially, it was the culmination of the best from the Gen III Platform; quite a solid motor.

·
Registered
478 Posts
LS3 heads "almost" flow too much as they are stock. Porting to increase flow isnt necessarily a good thing if it slows down your intake velocities, which can and will effect power, especially under the curve. It can actually have a negative effect. Now some people will argue they made X amount more HP on the dyno at X rpm, but generally the gains are negligible and are usually at the upper RPM range where you dont spend much time. The 4" bore is a little on the small side for LS3 heads, they work better with 4.065 and larger bores. Unless your going forced induction, stroker, larger bore or a combination of those, i wouldn't bother. The cost vs HP gain just isnt worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Yes definitely mill the heads, These motor love the increased compression. Can't believe I didn't mention that. RCR modified intake manifold didn't get mentioned either and is definitely money well spent.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If your milling the heads, you should be checking PTV clearance. There isn't a whole lot of room to cut depending on cam selection. You should be checking PTV clearance even without milling the heads. I had my heads milled .024" and had to eyebrow my piston for clearance. This was to get 11.5:1 compression on a CamMotion cam 220/224 111+1. Part of that was I used different intake valves that took up some PTV clearance. You will never know unless you actually check. I'm betting most people don't check and have no idea how close the really are to piston contact.

·
Registered
341 Posts
PTV is why I contacted Rick and went with his recommendations on cam and how much to mill the heads. I had never measured PTV before, but I went through it and with my setup I am near the minimums of .080 and .100" with untouched pistons & stock head gasket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts