Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds wierd until you look at some late model cars, & they are "sealed for life," with no dipstick, screen instead of a filter, etc. etc.

Pleeease tell me the G8's are not like this.

·
Nor Cal
299 Posts
Only dipstick I see, is the oil. I wish it wasn't so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think we will see a sealed auto anytime soon, but there is an industry trend towards electronically monitoring of fluid levels and conditions.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Per the owner's manual, There is no need to check the transmission fluid level. The only reason that the level would be low is there is a leak, and you guessed it.. "See your dealer for service"

·
Registered
247 Posts
Per the owner's manual, There is no need to check the transmission fluid level. The only reason that the level would be low is there is a leak, and you guessed it.. "See your dealer for service"
Which doesnt make any sense considering that the only to really tell if you have a leak is to monitor the level of the fluid. Especially if its a smallish type leak and by the time you notice its seriously low. :damnyou::damnyou::damnyou:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully there is some electronic monitor for this, though if the dipstick was eliminated as a cost cutting measure I wouldn't count on it. Hopefully someone with a service manual will be able to chime in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 6L80/90 A6 trans's have a dipstick hole (dipstick can be fitted in some applications), but it is generally plugged with a plastic stopper. The level checking involves having the trans at a certain temp, and then pulling this plug to see if any fluid flows out. If it does not...add fluid. If a lot flows out, it must have too much. It cant really be overfilled.

The trans has a fluid temp sensor, so if the fluid gets too low the temp will rise and alarm or the trans will start to protect itself. The 6L engines in the VE/G8 have engine pan oil temp and level sensors too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The 6L80/90 A6 trans's have a dipstick hole (dipstick can be fitted in some applications), but it is generally plugged with a plastic stopper. The level checking involves having the trans at a certain temp, and then pulling this plug to see if any fluid flows out. If it does not...add fluid. If a lot flows out, it must have too much. It cant really be overfilled.

The trans has a fluid temp sensor, so if the fluid gets too low the temp will rise and alarm or the trans will start to protect itself. The 6L engines in the VE/G8 have engine pan oil temp and level sensors too.
That would suggest, then, that the A6 has no service requirements for fluid/filter? Can't believe that's healthy.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
That would suggest, then, that the A6 has no service requirements for fluid/filter? Can't believe that's healthy.....
Yeah thats a point. Long term not so healthy if they dont recommend a change interval. Though it does have a filter, and they are available as spares. Filling is via the oil inspection "hole", it is a good 1/2" in diameter.

They have probably shipped 1m+ of these 6 speeds since the trans plant ramped up in late 2005, so they seem to be getting by ok in the field. GM is targetting 3m a year by 2010.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as there is some method for a DIY’er to check/change, I am okay with it. I do wish it didn’t involve getting under the car versus just popping the hood but a DIY’er still has to get under to change the engine oil, so its not that big a deal. I’m sure the 6L80/90 is a very well designed transmission.

Speaking of, does the 5 speed auto in the V6 have a similar arrangement, or a dipstick?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure what is in the G8 service manual, but the VE Commodore is fluid and filter at approx 90,000 miles.
The manual for the GT states transmission service is at 100K miles.

·
<><>Morgen<><>
879 Posts
Perhaps by having a 100% sealed tranny the fluid doesn't break down as fast? Hmmm.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got 12K on my G8 GT now and will change the fluid to synthetic. If you are suppose the leave it in for that long, I'm going synthetic.

Does anyone make an aftermarket retro-fit dipstick for the 6L80 tranny so you can easily check the level??

Where is this capped 6L80 tranny fill hole located in the 6L80?

I have read in the forum posts about brand new G8 trannys coming off the boat or delivered to customers underfilled from the factory.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Some of us are working on this issue. I should have more information in about a week. With a bit of luck this will be solved at a reasonable price.

Sweet, I'm glad this issue is still on the table.....

·
9 Second G8
2,875 Posts
Very sad to report the failure of this experiment. The dipstick tube simply would not clear the headers. We will be testing to see if it will work on a car with stock manifolds but for those of us with headers, no luck.

The only possibility I see at this time is a flexible housing, Lokar style. unfortunately they don't make one to fit in the 6L80.

·
Registered
177 Posts
For those backyard mechs out there you may want to think again about servicing this tranny. There is a post somewhere on the board with the instructions out of the service manual. The car has to be level (no ramps), engine running, and at a specific temp. range to check the level on the driver's side of the tranny.

Anybody got a lift in their backyard?

I asked my dealer to check the level in mine and watched how he did it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
20 Participants
2001kx
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing