Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ie.. if I buy one of these two products that have canned tunes and email flashes, can a local tuner that has advanced access to these programs (ie.. a dealer for one/both) go in and do a custom tune? ie.. via a dyno?

·
9 Second G8
2,875 Posts
No. Vector and Livernois use LS2Edit, most local tuners use HPTuners or EFILive. Plus V and L lock their tunes, they can only be modified or overwritten by the original tuner.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping a dealer for these companies might be local and would have access or the ability to unlock their programming to make changes. I know it's "possible", but doesn't seem like these two companies are "willing" to allow it.

Nissan/Infiniti use UpRev, which is a flash tune based product much like these two companies. But UpRev sells a version of their software that allows individuals to make changes much like the HP Tuning software. And dealers for UpRev have access to the tunes so they can make changes. It's sort of the "best of all worlds" type of thing. I was hoping something similar was available.

But thanks for the input. I'm still learning here!

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
i had dyno tune done with hptuners, and bought hptuners myself. this way i have freedom like you're looking for. it's an investment, but I can always sell the software (minus the 2 credits) if i choose.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I had to read what you said twice. Nice point!

I assume when you get dyno tuned with HP Tuners, they s save the oem ecu/tcm flash so you can switch back/forth when necessary?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
if they don't have the stock tune handy, hptuners has an online tune repository where they (or you) can download the stock tune

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you request 91 / 93 octane tunes and different TCM level tunes as well? Ie.. do they have canned tunes that they can use as a baseline before jumping on the dyno to refine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts