Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
hey I had the same issue. it wouldn't come out of park. I was very worried. but I moved on. I installed new tune. it came out of park. but I had lifted and dropped the car to change oil even though it was running limp mode until I installed the new tune. but really I think it there was a lot preload on the trans park mode after being on front only jackatands for 2 weeks

·
Registered
189 Posts
and I used a flywheel tool to tighten crank pulley. and even then i pulled hard to get it out of park after above post.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have had the car up on jack stands for almost three weeks while I've been doing this project off and on so I probably have the same issue as you had. I didn't even need the flywheel locking tool to get the pulley on. The install tool I had was great for getting the thing on and then I just torqued the new crank bolt down and still nothing moved. I'll just keep installing stuff until it's done and I can turn her back on again to get the thing out of park. Just glad I didn't bind up anything if you had the same issue.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update - Finally got everything bolted back together and just fired it up with the new tune. It fired up right away, but I got an oil pressure light on the DIC about 10 seconds into it and just shut it off. How long should it take for pressure to build up and am I going to break anything leaving it running for a while if there is in fact no pressure?

Before I fired it up, I turned the key with the spark plugs unhooked and let it time out. Did this two or three times per some of the recommendations out there.

·
Tin Indian
440 Posts
It only takes 2-3 seconds for a oil system to fully pressurize. If the light was off when it fired up and came on 10 seconds into running, there is an issue. It came on for a reason. If it was on from the beginning and never shut off, there is still a problem. Yes, you will hurt/seize the engine if you run it with no oil pressure. It might be something as easy as a connection to a pressure sending unit though.... and not that you actually have no oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Were the lifters ticking? If not you probably have oil pressure. Did you use a new "O" ring on the oil pickup. I actually don't know how you get that pickup bolt off if you don't pull the pan. It really only takes removing the motor mount bolts, jacking up the engine putting a couple of 2x4 pieces between the mount and the bracket, lowering it to let it rest on the blocks and removing the pan. The worse part is getting at those harness bolts on the front of the pan.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I didn't notice any additional valvetrain noise...maybe a little bit more. I did use a new o-ring on the pick-up tube, but maybe I tightened it down too hard and pinched it. I just made it pretty snug when I was putting it back on. I ordered a new o-ring since that seems to be the biggest culprit I am finding. Before I tear it all down again, I will take the sending unit out and crank the engine over with the plugs out and see if oil comes out and that should tell me if I'm really not getting any oil or if the sender just got damaged when I switched it over from the old valley cover.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Man, this car has fought you every step of the way! It will be all the more satisfying to get it working correctly though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Man, this car has fought you every step of the way! It will be all the more satisfying to get it working correctly though.
No joke! I'm looking forward to posting the startup video. Kind of a like an exclamation point on my eventual success. On the plus side, I am learning a ton about my engine. I think I can tear it down in a fraction of the time if I had to disassemble everything again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No joke! I'm looking forward to posting the startup video. Kind of a like an exclamation point on my eventual success. On the plus side, I am learning a ton about my engine. I think I can tear it down in a fraction of the time if I had to disassemble everything again.
You know you could check your oil pressure by taking a valve cover off and cranking it up for a few seconds. Shouldn't take any longer than that to get oil up the pushrod and coming down over the rockers. If it doesn't oil, then you know you'll be tearing the front cover off again and dealing with those damn bolts, ha.

FWIW I checked that my oil pump was priming before I put everything back together. Soon as the assembled heads were on, I cranked it over with the fuel pump disconnected until I saw oil coming up over all the rockers.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got it all pulled apart in about an hour and this is what I saw when the cover came off...

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
you only pinch the o ring if you try and change the oil pump without
dropping the pan. what did you find out about the oil pressure ?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I pulled the oil pump and reseated the o-ring. Oiled everything up really well and reinstalled it all. The o-ring still looked good. No signs of pinching or tearing what so ever so I don't think the pump area is the issue. I snugged the pick-up tube bolt down, but didn't Superman it on there. Once I had the pump secure again I started cranking the engine over by hand a bunch of times and then ran over to check my HP Tuners to see if anything had registered and still zero indicated pressure.

Maybe the sending unit really is faulty so I will check that next. I just was wanting to avoid taking the manifold off since it involves disassembling the nitrous system as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Update - Popped one of the valve covers off to see if there was oil getting up in there and there was some small pooling in the back of the cover (car is lifted in the front pretty high) so I started cranking the engine over by hand and was getting a little bit more to come through so it looks like the pump is actually working. Buttoned up the oil pan, timing cover and put the pulley back on and tomorrow I will take the intake off and see what the crap is up with the sender unit. That must be the only thing left unless I find a surprise once the intake comes off.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just in case anyone is still sub'd to this thread - I got the car up and running with good oil pressure. The problem ended up being that the bolt hole for the pickup tube was messed up. It was causing the bolt to not thread all the way and the o-ring was not getting seated into the pump. I ended up having it towed to a shop because I could not figure out the pressure problem. The mechanic said that he isn't sure how it would even be possible to mess the threads up in that way and said it probably came from the factory that way. So I had them replace the pump anyway since it had 90K on it along with a new pickup tube and now I'm off to the races.

Anyway, that was the only thing holding the whole works up.

Here's the cold start vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65SlaHLkh4E" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65SlaHLkh4E"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65SlaHLkh4E" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts