Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to pull the trigger on the DOD delete kit with a BTR stage 2 NA LS3 cam, BTR .660 springs, GM LS7 lifters, and BTR pushrods. I don’t know what length pushrod to go with though. 7.400 or 7.325?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Replace lifters with johnson as the lift of the BTR cam is past the safe operating range of GM lifters. For pushrods, you will need to measure and then order to ensure you are in the preload window of the johnsons.

Of course, that's my opinion. Johnsons are not cheap, but way cheaper than doing the job twice - your call.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace lifters with johnson as the lift of the BTR cam is past the safe operating range of GM lifters. For pushrods, you will need to measure and then order to ensure you are in the preload window of the johnsons.

Of course, that's my opinion. Johnsons are not cheap, but way cheaper than doing the job twice - your call.
Well I guess I have a lot more research to do. My cam for my Gen 2 LT1 was easy I chose a cam and the kit came with matching parts. There are so many options with the DOD delete kit.

·
Registered
PBM GXP M6 Onyx/Red, 51k, stock. Sold: Original owner 09 GT PBM Onyx 70k
129 Posts
Replace lifters with johnson as the lift of the BTR cam is past the safe operating range of GM lifters. For pushrods, you will need to measure and then order to ensure you are in the preload window of the johnsons. Of course, that's my opinion. Johnsons are not cheap, but way cheaper than doing the job twice - your call.
I have no personal experience, only what I've read on the boards, but it seems that there are nearly as many failures with the GM LS7 lifters on DOD delete projects as there are with the original DOD lifters. Per above, Johnsons are very expensive, but much cheaper than doing the job twice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You won’t need to change the length of the pushrods (7.400”) if your going to run the same valve train set up,if your going to install screw in studs guide plates etc…then you’ll need to check your lengths but thes cam are pretty much straight swap.
In regards to the lifters l‘ve always used factory ls7 with new buckets and never had an issue,the problems occur when cam changes are done without changing the buckets…and that’s my experience.
I’ve seen and heard of many a cam swap and they’ve not change the buckets out and a 1000 or 2 km’s down the track it shits a lobe cause the buckets are worn,like the others are saying..do the job right the first time and it’ll be happy days.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You won’t need to change the length of the pushrods (7.400”) if your going to run the same valve train set up,if your going to install screw in studs guide plates etc…then you’ll need to check your lengths but thes cam are pretty much straight swap.
In regards to the lifters l‘ve always used factory ls7 with new buckets and never had an issue,the problems occur when cam changes are done without changing the buckets…and that’s my experience.
I’ve seen and heard of many a cam swap and they’ve not change the buckets out and a 1000 or 2 km’s down the track it shits a lobe cause the buckets are worn,like the others are saying..do the job right the first time and it’ll be happy days.
What do you mean by buckets?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I guess I have a lot more research to do. My cam for my Gen 2 LT1 was easy I chose a cam and the kit came with matching parts. There are so many options with the DOD delete kit.
The reason for measuring the 'needed' pushrod length is variations in the base circle of the cam and how much preload a specific lifter needs. The closer to the desired preload, the better the valve will follow the cams movements.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
There are also gm racing lifters that fall between the ls7 and johnson lifter price points... I'm going with those myself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts