Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a month ago car started having the chirp under the hood. narrowed it down to it being a lifter going bad & car would need a dod delete. a comp cam premium dod delete kit was purschased & i took the car to a local performance shop. Keep in mind that at the moment the only issue the car is having is the chirp under the hood. transmission is fine. car runs great no issues. Also the car is remaining stock. im not adding any mods, just getting the dod delete. fast forward a couple weeks. i get my car back. dod delete was complete. afm was turned off. no tune. just turned off the afm. now my car is having random misfires (P0300) & apparently the transmission has started to slip, which when i come up to a light & come to a stop the car wants to stall & turn off but stays on. Any ideas? does the car need a complete tune? Transmission reprogrammed/reflashed? what could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Welcome to the forum. In short, take it back to the "performance shop". Exactly which parts were replaced? They did a d.o.d. delete and didn't replace the camshaft? Is it possible nothing was replaced and merely the "feature" was disabled?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
The squeaking is common when the lifter tray is worn out and the lifter is trying to rotate. New lifters and trays removes the problem and squeaking. The squeaking means the lifter or lifters were causing wear to the cam lobes. Did you pay for a cam? What’s the mileage? If you do have to buy a cam. Cost and ease of tuning an LS3 cam will be the easy. Cam, yellow springs, and a trunnion kit would do it.

Reactions: RED_G8_ATL

·
Registered
2009 Liquid Red GT 439WHP
57 Posts
Welcome to the forum, what part of the big ATL are you in? what shop did you take it to?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The squeaking is common when the lifter tray is worn out and the lifter is trying to rotate. New lifters and trays removes the problem and squeaking. The squeaking means the lifter or lifters were causing wear to the cam lobes. Did you pay for a cam? What’s the mileage? If you do have to buy a cam. Cost and ease of tuning an LS3 cam will be the easy. Cam, yellow springs, and a trunnion kit would do it.
[/QUO
Welcome to the forum. In short, take it back to the "performance shop". Exactly which parts were replaced? They did a d.o.d. delete and didn't replace the camshaft? Is it possible nothing was replaced and merely the "feature" was disabled?
thank you. no the cam wasnt replaced. they told me because it wasnt damaged it didnt need to get replaced. & i bought the kit so if they only disabled it then i need 550 refunded for the kit i bought. the cam has to get replaced when doing the dod even if its not damaged?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i payed for the dod delete kit which replaced the afm lifters, headgaskets & some other stuff. but not the cam. cam is still the same one. mileage is about to hit 97,500

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i took it to dbw which is in norcross
thank you. no the cam wasnt replaced. they told me because it wasnt damaged it didnt need to get replaced. & i bought the kit so if they only disabled it then i need 550 refunded for the kit i bought. the cam has to get replaced when doing the dod even if its not damaged?

·
Registered
57 Posts
thanks bro. i took it to dbw which is in norcross
I would gather receipts up and make them fix it. Yeah I am about 40 minutes east of norcross

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
It has been the experience here, if it squeals. It’s scraping metal on metal , so that’s the lifter roller scraping metal off the cam lobe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
aye nice bro. i live in winder. but work in norcross which is why i took it to them. appreciate the knowledge bro
I think I have seen you then. You drive a lot on hwy 211? Over by pleasant hill church rd?

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Find out what specifically was replaced and the work performed. Did they not provide an invoice? Receipt of some sort? Also, I always request old parts/hardware (within reason) to be placed in a bucket, box, bag, left on the floorboard, etc. in the beginning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Find out what specifically was replaced and the work performed. Did they not provide an invoice? Receipt of some sort? Also, I always request old parts/hardware (within reason) to be placed in a bucket, box, bag, left on the floorboard, etc. in the beginning.
this is the receipt i have of what they did. dod delete kit not including cause i paid seperate for that but i have the receipt also

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Back to the shop that did it. If it’s a tuning problem, they fix it. If it needs a cam , you pay for the parts and 2 hours additional labour that it needed when the engine was torn down. Shop does the rest and retunes it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back to the shop that did it. If it’s a tuning problem, they fix it. If it needs a cam , you pay for the parts and 2 hours additional labour that it needed when the engine was torn down. Shop does the rest and retunes it.
THANKS BRO. very helpful!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The DOD cam has a different profile on the lobes that shut down due to the difference in lifters. If the lifters they put in were not DOD lifters (and why would you when doing the delete?) then you have 4 cylinders getting more valve lift than the others.

Is it enough to matter. I don't know lol.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
The difference between afm and non-afm lobes is 2 or 3 thousands of an inch due to the slightly looser preload on the afm lobes. Plenty over the years have done DOD delete on the stock cam and it make no difference. GM probably did it to keep valve train quiet. On the flip side, RCR DOD cams use the same lift and duration on all lobes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts