Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to do internal upgrades, is it really all that necessary to do a dod delete?

·
every village has one
2,319 Posts
"internal upgrades" is a bit vague. Can you give us a little hint?

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
basically if i were to do a cam/ lifter swap. maybe do pistons and so on will is it really necessary to do a dod delete.

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
If you did a cam/lifter swap you would be deleting the DOD.

The short answer to your question is yes. If you want a reliable car that's going to last with internal performance modifications, the DOD needs to go.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dod is jus cam and lifters then

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
499 Posts
dod is jus cam and lifters then
pretty much, plus the tune (computer)

From what I am reading you need to because the "gen 1 dod lifters" are known to fail under high hp applications therefore it become necessary to delete it to avoid "told ya so" moments when the stock lifters (or something related) fail?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
pretty much, plus the tune (computer)

From what I am reading you need to because the "gen 1 dod lifters" are known to fail under high hp applications therefore it become necessary to delete it to avoid "told ya so" moments when the stock lifters (or something related) fail?
Mine is a 2009 and I've got the better DOD lifters from the factory and they are doing just fine after 101,000 miles, 60k of which were S/C'd. It's now making around 700rwhp; pistons, rods and crank just upgraded to forged but the lifters looked fine along with the cam so they were put back in. Some have had failures but some have also had failures on the standard lifters so I'm not convinced the DOD lifters are more problematic, but that's just my 2 cents.

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
499 Posts
Interesting, so your Lunati cam is DOD with the stock lifters?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Interesting, so your Lunati cam is DOD with the stock lifters?
Correct. Rick Crawford also ran his with DOD active with ported and milled heads, cam and Nitrous with no issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can maintain DoD if you wish and still gain substantial power. Speak with Rick Crawford (G8-4speed) as he has done several such setups without issue.

I'm eliminating DoD as I don't see a major gain in fuel economy on my commute (only 1-2mpg) and I'm not very fond of the sound difference in half-active mode. DoD can be reliable with routine maintenance and careful consideration in mods (specifically spring pressures and cam lobe profiles). I was shocked to find out that Rick has been spinning his DoD equipped G8 to 6900RPM without any troubles... certainly made me appreciate the engineering a bit more.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
One other tidbit. The DoD delete is more than a Cam and Lifters swap.
You need the LS3 valley cover as well, and the vacuum-related parts that go with that swap. Then the new cam uses a 3 bolt pattern sprocket instead of the DoD's single big bolt. Often people will swap the tensioner with the LS3 one at that time as well.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im honestly glad that theres parts to upgrade internals but without deviating too far from the original design.... i jus dun wanna take it too far from its norm.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
To do so I think you have to delete the god damned DOD delete kit
It'll cost you about 1400$$ + tuning modefication
Delete the "Dod Delete" kit...what would be left???

jk.

I'm still not sure what components you want to upgrade and leave DOD? Looking to replace the cam and keep DOD? Then just swap out the cam. Keep it tame, and you do not even need a new tune. I ran an LS6 cam for a while with no special tune. Also ran 1.85 rockers without a tune. No biggie.
Just don't listen to the folks with little to offer.

·
two lane black top
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i know im reviving this thread but hey putting it out there. im thinkin to get ls3 heads with the livernois stage 1 cam (i think thats what rick c used to run 12's) p&p tb. yea. just a top end build keeping mah dod.

like a boss

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
i know im reviving this thread but hey putting it out there. im thinkin to get ls3 heads with the livernois stage 1 cam (i think thats what rick c used to run 12's) p&p tb. yea. just a top end build keeping mah dod.

like a boss
I dont think Rick has ever used a livernois stage 1 cam....all custom spec'ed Lunati's and Comps on his builds.

All you have to do is swap out intake valvles and voila! You Sir will have LS3 heads...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts