Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking at getting a G8 GT and I had a question about the DOD. I know that you can replace the lifters or you can get it tuned off. Is there any downfall of only getting it tuned off rather than replacing?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know why anyone would turn it off. It works and it saves gas when cruising. The problem from the performance end is that the lifters are heavy, the cam is very mild, and there is a history of the lifters failing. For most people the car is plenty fast from the factory, but if you are a hot rodder you will want to replace the cam, lifters, valvesprings and DoD hardware.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes there have been a few problems with the lifters but not too bad. Most people want to make it faster so it helps them talk themselves into a cam swap. Personally I could feel the DOD coming on around 40 mph and you may interpret that as a little extra NVH - so I turned mine off. I only got about 1 tank through it before I did the cam swap, and it seemed to lose less than 1 mpg. If you're cruising 55+ you can't feel it because tire and wind noise start dominating....

It's true the cam is wicked small (low lift). It's a large reason why this motor is down 38 hp from the LS2 - and I wanted that back!

·
Registered
116 Posts
To replace the lifters you have to remove the intake and heads. Just a little more work to replace the cam and be done with the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If the engine has not been significantly modified, the warranty still applies I would think unless it's five years old or over 100k miles (actually I'm not sure the warranty is transferable to a new owner). How many miles? My DOD stuff is still active and doing fine with lots of mods and tons of horsepower. Some have had failures with the DOD lifters and some have had problems with the lifters they replaced them with. Mine are doing fine at 104k miles.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi I am looking at getting a G8 GT and I had a question about the DOD. I know that you can replace the lifters or you can get it tuned off. Is there any downfall of only getting it tuned off rather than replacing?
You can deactivate DOD in the tune. I had a lifter failure at about 20k miles and they were replaced under warranty. After adding a CAI, headers, full exhaust, and a dyno tune, my car actually gets about 1-2 mpg more than it did when it was stock, and that's with DOD 100% off and a good 70 hp gain from the mods. The DOD system is a mistake on GM's part IMO.

I have already ordered all the parts to cam the car and all those lifters are coming out now. Car is my daily driver year round.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.