Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine never worked right since I bought it used 3 years ago. Used to read NE 75% of the time, then tried to follow the calibration settings. Now it reads Northeast all the time lol

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Follow the sun or download a compass app.

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
Mine is terrible now, used to work fine. I think I just need to recalibrate it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Come cheer up me lads 'tis to glory we steer............ ahem.....

I honestly don't know what purpose a compass serves in a car without the need to physically follow a paper map.... LOL It's good for show, but little else.

Just another thing to be annoyed about when it says S when I'm heading toward the sun..... LOL

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I know its there but pay little or no attention to it.
In other cars I have have the compass can be re-calibrated by driving around in circles while holding down a button or something. There must be something in the owners manual about it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There is... the procedure never worked for me.... I must have done something wrong...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sextant. And a watch. That's why they have a sun roof.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info ....... I reset the Zone from 12 to 4 , now its accurate. It has nothing to do with real world usefulness, as it does with me being a perfectionist. I need things to work as they werei ntended or it drives me NUTS.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah... you do need to be in the correct zone... :) Glad it worked out.

I had to learn to live with it...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its nice when your in a different city turning onto a street and you dont have cell phone handy, or bad service. Like when someone says " head north on Folsom Blvd. " And you arent familiar with the city.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a calibration of Magnetic earth zones. The small left button on rear view mirror sets those. Look online for the G.M compass zones. 1 - 15 zones.. Number determines what part of North America you are located. The other calibration is to drive around in circles for 5 min, in a parking lot. This is supposed to coordinate the compass with proper direction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts