Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I need to replace this sensor, but don't know where the hell it is. I looked everywhere.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Its installed vertically under a T pipe section at the rear of, an about 2" outboard of the compressor. Best viewed and replaced looking/working up from below.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...so I found it, how hard can a sensor be? What's the best approach to removing the damn thing? Everything possible is blocking the sensor to remove it with any tool.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I've never had to replace that switch/sensor on this car. The bad is that it appears to be round in the service manual drawings. The small hex nut device (that the sensor threads into) is actually a self sealing Schrader valve (that's good) The factory set the sensor torque to 53 inch pounds (4.5 foot pounds). IF you can get adjustable pliers (what I call water pumps) around that smooth round sensor, it seems like it wouldn't require much force to break the torque setting on it. You then might be able to get some fingers to surround the sensor, to manually thread it out. The Schrader valve will most likely leak out a touch of refridgerant (under pressure) until that Schrader valve self seals itself. The install would unseat the valve an leak some more. So threading in with as much speed as possible is the thing to do. Once the "O " ring sets into its recess, the leaking should cease. Then a little torque with the pliers to complete. If you think some style of pliers can get in there, it probably would be best to line the jaws with a few layers of duct tape when tightening to keep damage control at a minimum. That's the best that I can think of for now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no way you can fit pliers there. You can't even get a small open end wrench there. It's a 14mm nut at the base of the sensor. I just got a crowsfoot socket wrench for it. I think that's the only way to do it. I'll try it in a few days.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Having that hex at least gives you a chance at it. May even be able to fit a deep 14mm socket with a wobble extension an ratchet, or a universal joint an extension.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Can't do a deep socket. Here's a pic of the miserable thing. It's tucked in right under that tube in the 2nd pic. It's buried no matter what angle you approach it.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
That's a lot different than the drawing in the service manual. I know there is a funky tool called a basin wrench (I think). It was designed to allow you to get up behind a bathroom or kitchen sink (with minimum tool rotation room). It has a flip-over self adjusting pipe wrench jaw design connected to an extension with a T handle. It allows you to grab a hex nut or round surface item. As you rotate the T handle, the jaws grip tighter an tighter. If you get some rotation from the item (but run out of twisting room), you would then rotate it the other way (at which time the jaws relax). that action allows you get back to your starting position, an repeat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
2 Participants
Gee8geeT
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing