Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Does anyone recognize this exhaust????

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  GT Drew 
#1 ·
I recently bought a used (and apparently slightly modified) 2009 GT. I was immediately aware of the RotoFab CAI. So I then began checking into cat-backs/ headers. I had already put the car up on a lift to check on what I was working with underneath. After looking I came across a picture of a “stock” G8 GT exhaust on the internet. which looked nothing like the system on my car. I’m now confused as to which exhaust system I have, it doesn’t sound like I want it to. It’s a very humble tone that’s hardly noticeable to anyone when I get on the throttle. I need LOUD. It’s a straight system from the mid-muffler back, with J-Pipes right before the tips. I have what appears to be maybe resonators? Or Cats before the muffler. The car has the stock header/ exhaust manifold from what I can tell because they’re quite rusted and covered by a heat shield. Here are some pics! PS. I’m asking because I may be able to just replace the mid-muff with an X-Pipe and add headers if this is an already decent axle-back system. Thanks in advance for the help guys! I’m glad to now be a part of the G8 community!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Edit: the final picture (with the red panel visible) is where the system begins going upwards towards the manifold. Not sure what the gold part is that it’s linked to is. If anyone could tell me what’s going on there as well that’d be great!

#3 ·
Those are stock cats at the front. After that it looks like maybe a aftermarket mid muffler I think the stock one would be much more weathered than that. And I don't see the stock resonators in the picture. At the back it looks like homemade j pipes, but the tips are the same ones as stock. I have a solo axleback but it looks a little different than that with the J placement. I currently have the solo and X pipe with resonators and I think it sounds perfect for a daily driver.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response! Alright so I’m going to assume that the guy before me went ahead and had a shop fab up a system. It seems to resemble some sort of solo setup. I’m gonna try replacing the mid muf with an X-pipe this weekend. I have another question off topic if you don’t mind answering. If I get a set of long tubes (probably Pypes) will those replace those stock Cats and clamp to the pipe right before the muffler? I’ve seen a thread saying that they will, but I can’t imagine the headers being THAT long. Will I need a set of down/ connector pipes to meet up with the pipes before the x-pipe?

#7 ·
Agreed. It looks like a SOLO exhaust system. Also, if it is a SOLO the mid-muffler may already be the X-Pipe resonator combo.

#8 ·
Solo Mach Balanced with stock cats is what you have. It is quiet because of the stock cats. Add the Solo cats or Kooks Mids and it will roar. DO NOT cut out the only muffler in the system. You will regret it if you do. Goto Solos site and hear that exhaust with the high flow cats. you will like it

#9 ·
That’s 100% a solo performance unbalanced shorty. The balance pipe on SP exhausts is before the center muffler. That’s definitely the shorty muffler, I have the balanced extended cat back on my Caprice. That rust has me thinking I’m gonna drop the whole thing and do a couple coats of flat black 2000° paint...

#10 ·
He is correct solo unbalanced/stock cats. Pypes headers will bolt right up to the solo system. And it will delete the cats. FYI the wife and kids will not like the smell. But if you have the cash I would suggest going Kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers and the solo connecting pipes (you need these to bolt from lth to mids they come in catted or non catted). Or purchase the Kooks long tube headers and the kooks mid. I have the pypes and Solo balanced catback. Still sounds great. The Kooks lth are twice the price of Pypes but worth every cent. If you contact Solo they will get you what you need to bolt right up to the Kooks lth. They are very good with customer service. A rarity these days. Good luck.

#11 ·
Or Kook's mids and keep the exhaust as is. It won't be a quiet with the stock cats gone . Mine is good for normal driving , but screams at WOT. Best of both worlds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.