Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Solo,

I've had my current setup with Kooks headers and hi flow cats with Solo Mach Balanced cat-back with 3" tips for a couple of years now.

I recently switched to a morning shift at work and I leave around 5:30am - while I like the exhaust note (especially at WOT) my wife is getting really pissy with me because I wake up the kids in the morning when I'm leaving. Both kids bedrooms are above the garage and the whole house rumbles when I start up - I've had the park outside for the last week or so because of this.

I'm thinking of adding the 14" - 2 1/2" Quantum mufflers to quiet it down while still maintaining a milder performance note.

Question 1: Does anyone have any thoughts about how this setup will sound?

Question 2: I want to keep the J-pipe axle-back just in case I want to go back, so would Solo make an axle-back for the G8 Mach Balanced, that uses the Quantum mufflers instead of J-pipes?

My alternative is to just buy the mufflers and go to a shop to have them chop and fit... not my preferred route.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am not solo, but have you thought of adding a mid muffler? Jackalope is looking to do that and many people have suggested a magnaflow mid muff to tone down the note. It is worth a look.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
The balanced system already has mid muffler doesn't it? Honestly I don't know what you could do to make if quiet enough to not disturb the bedrooms above the garage. Maybe use the stock cans and sell the solos. Then install electronic cut outs...

Sent from my iPad using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
786 Posts
If u have stock mufflers put those on and keep ur solos that way if u ever feel like going back you can. If u don't have stock mufflers they are always some in the for sale section cheap.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
SOLO sells MR resonators, and I have these on my car. I do agree that with headers and a complete solo catback, the cold starts do tend to wake up the kids. Call me crazy, but I find that if I park the car with the a$$ end pointed away from the house, it's much more managable, but you can hear that initial bark when she fires on the remote start, just much less. If you park in the garage I could imagine the vibrations and whatnot that get resonated into the house.

Good luck sir, couldn't hurt to call up [email protected] and see if the resonators might help your situation.

--zep

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
The resonators did both from what I remember, for the most part, it can be summarized with the "It took the edge off" which for me as a daily driver, was exactly what I was looking for.

HTH.

If you want a backstory on the solo project (in case you care!) check this out.

--zep

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great advice guys. I didn't even think about a mid muffler or resonators.

Zep, where did you install the resonators - in the mid pipes?

·
Midlife Crisis Solution
178 Posts
To the OP, if you go the Solo MR resonators route shoot me a PM as I have some brand new ones sitting in the boxes laying in my garage. I decided to go a different route and never got around to selling them. I am sure that we can work out a good deal as my wife has been really on me lately to get rid of them. :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Sounds like an opportunity ^^^^

:)

The resonators kinda go where the stock ones lined up... behind the mid muffler but in front of the rear cradle, near the driveshaft area. They certainly do take the edge off, and make it more refined in my opinion, but all this is subjective because what is perfect for someone might be too loud for someone else and too quiet for a third person altogether. But that said, they will take some of the edginess off of it and it sounds like that is what you are looking to do possibly. Good luck OP.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I picked up the resonators from SocialG8 - they are really nice units and I appreciate the great deal on them. Unfortunately that's where the joy ended...

I had the car up on the lift planning out the work at the shop this afternoon and I don't know if Solo changed their design since I got my Mach Balanced catback, but there is not a single straight section long enough to accommodate the resonators, so I'd have to get some custom mandrel bends done to make them fit right (not worth the extra time and expense). Even if there was enough straight pipe behind the mid muffler, there is no way they would both fit in the heat shield area side-by-side without rubbing hard against it. They would need to be staggered somehow further back near the axles requiring a lot of modification.

At this point, I'm just going to have to re-sell the resonators because they won't work. If someone has fitted these resonators to a mach system can provide a photo of the underside of the car that would be helpful.

Furthermore, there is visible leakage from the welds at the front of the mid muffler and the welds at the T-junction. The exhaust has been on the car for only 1 1/2 years and there has definitely not been any knocks or scrapes - this is really poor workmanship in my opinion. Maybe I got one of the early batches when they started making them? I don't know.

I think at this point I am looking at other exhaust options. I should have taken some pics when I had it on the lift but I didn't think of it. I might look at some of the short resonators available from other manufacturers (there's a 12" drilled core model from Vibrance that probably won't be as effective as the Solo MRs), but with the poor quality welds, I might just replace the whole catback for a Corsa or other option.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I may be interested in the resonators. Pm some details on what u paid for them and I might just be able to take those off your hands.

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Hey,
Sorry it took me so long to see this!!! Give us a call tomorrow at 905-703-1557 and Jeff can give you some ideas on what to try. He will probably suggest resonators as well, and the MR's are really great. Hope to hear from you!!

Steve

·
Vendor
1,288 Posts
Also the resonator necks have to be cut off and then welded in just behind the cross brace in the middle of the car. They won't fit with the necks on but they definitely fit when the necks are cut off. The open end of the louvers go towards the back of the car. Give Jeff a call if you need anything else. Good Luck.

·
Capital City G8
3,219 Posts
I can assure you that the resonators will fit, but requires some custom work. They are well worth the effort.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I didn't respond to this for a while. I appreciate everyone's posts.

I ended up going with resonators from another popular brand. They make a 12" bottle style perforated core resonator and they fit in the straight pipe sections behind the mid muffler. I also had all leaky joints TIG welded.

I'm really happy with the result - 100% raspiness gone, the little drone it had is gone and the overall volume is about 20% lower. It has kind of an aggressive Euro sound to it now. On start-up that loud bark is about 60% gone too. Driving it is like night and day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts