Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out on a rare nice Indiana afternoon, and along pulls a Civic Vtec hatchback, lowered, requisite fart can exhaust, stupid ricer website sticker...I shift into manual mode (2nd at about 35) bc I wanted no automatic downshift...Three honks and go, well he jumped big. So I go, and FORGET TO UPSHIFT, pinging the rev limiter. DUH!! I shift into 3rd and am pulling on him but he lets up big, race over. Now dude probably thinks he has something special. I am kicking myself for being a moron and forgetting the shift! Now he'll go bragging to his ricer buddies about how he "killed" a G8 in his little go-kart. He was more than stock, but not as fast as me. And even with him jumping the start, moral of the story, don't forget to upshift in manual mode. Better yet, don't race in it either. I would have killed him in sport mode, but my ego wanted that instant power....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man I need a tune, and to update my sig...haven't been on in a while. Wife drives the G8 daily now b/c she works literally 1 mile from our house. Good way to keep the miles off, as I am in outside sales and drive 1,500 miles a month. Plus we are saving to move, so car mods are going to have to wait. Well, a tune is a must. I can afford that.

·
every village has one
2,319 Posts
Well the good news is you made someone's day.
The bad news is the word is gonna get out.....

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Well the good news is you made someone's day.
The bad news is the word is gonna get out.....
Even better news, if people get the news a EASY TARGET, they don't relise THAY are the EASY target."Got to lose a few till the stakes get HIGH.And the need arises,THEN YOU JUST BLOW BY" A line from my faverite Race song.....

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
499 Posts
Haha nice where were you exactly? Nice to see other Indy folks on the forum!

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
499 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
Or simply select the gear you want in manual mode... Once the race is underway, shift quickly to auto then to sport... no missed upshift and you get the benefit of selecting the gear you want to start in, and the rest of the shifts are at redline.

Personally I'd rather do that then wait for the transmission to decide what gear it wants to be in after the perp has taken off.

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
Manual mode isn't for drag racing anyway. Why anyone would want it to shift automatically in manual mode is beyond me. Manual mode is meant more for road course racing IMO.

·
Arrival
183 Posts
Proficiency is key. The only time I have even put my car in drive is when it snows. Manual just sounds better exhaust wise.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Manual mode isn't for drag racing anyway. Why anyone would want it to shift automatically in manual mode is beyond me. Manual mode is meant more for road course racing IMO.
Mine is tuned to shift up automatically in manual mode and it works great for the road course. I want to be able to downshift to control the gear, but at WOT, I'm fine with it shifting itself - this way, I don't have to watch the revs if I'm at WOT but can control up and downshifting all other times.

·
That's ME!
4,022 Posts
Mine is tuned to shift up automatically in manual mode and it works great for the road course. I want to be able to downshift to control the gear, but at WOT, I'm fine with it shifting itself - this way, I don't have to watch the revs if I'm at WOT but can control up and downshifting all other times.
Ah.... that does make sense.

·
GXP'd PBM GT 2009.5
2009 G8 GT
499 Posts
Or simply select the gear you want in manual mode... Once the race is underway, shift quickly to auto then to sport... no missed upshift and you get the benefit of selecting the gear you want to start in, and the rest of the shifts are at redline.

Personally I'd rather do that then wait for the transmission to decide what gear it wants to be in after the perp has taken off.
That's what I normally do

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I only use automatic mode (drive) at the drag strip. Road courses and street encounters...manual for me. I have my Dashhawk programmed as a shift light.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha nice where were you exactly? Nice to see other Indy folks on the forum!
Pendleton Pike outside of Oaklandon...that nice stretch where you can get on it before McCordsville.

From a stop I would have used sport mode, but we were rolling so I didn't want the downshift delay. I like the idea of starting in manual then flipping over to auto though. I would have ate his lunch from a stop....ugh, operator error. I will look into that tune that auto upshifts in manual mode though. Dude was a turd too, didn't even want to give me w rematch at the light bc he knew he'd get lit up...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sometimes it's beneficial to ride the rev limiter tho, like coming up to a corner where you'll be slowing down regardless. If the ECU up shifts now you have to force it back into the lower gear instead of just easing onto the brakes and going smoothly into the corner. And at some point you'll upset the car by shifting and likely lose more time in the process than could have potentially been gained by up shifting. I use this technique more in auto-x than road racing, but it's proven beneficial in both.

I'd rather retain that ability and use the method someone else suggested for drag racing.

·
The Roaming G8
390 Posts
Like my friend at work told me with his 776rwhp S2000......"You always have to be in kill mode...always. It'll be that time when someone pulls up in something that you know that you can beat and then you mess up. ALWAYS DRIVE ON KILL MODE!!!"

So since that day that he told me that I always drive in KILL MODE!!! And that is the reason why.lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts