Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with their door locks not fully locking or unlocking. My right rear door doesn't always lock properly. My driver's door will shift halfway after unlocking it which gives a clunk when you close it. I guess I will have to take the door panels off and see what is happening in there.

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts
Ive had it, and I know a few others have also. There is a thread on it somewhere. I'll Look.

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
basically these cars should only be opened via the key fob or lock/unlock button - it is my firm belief that the switch next to the door handle is for show only, and if you and/or your passengers start using it to open the door it starts mucking stuff up.

Not to mention, when unlocked it usually takes a good TUG from the handle to get the door to open, there's lots of play and then you need a good pull to get it open. Also, sometimes when I throw it in P or unlock the doors w/ the button the driver's door doesn't fully unlock, especially if I don't gingerly pull open the handle from the "tip" and instead grip it from the "base" usually when it gets like this locking it and then unlocking again fixes it.

I am not sure if there is a "fix" to this problem - my GTO was similarly weird w/ the door locks/handles - although I do feel it was more solidly built overall. This little gripe along w/ ridiculously slow power windows and whiney alternators seems to be par for the course when it comes to holdens - oh yeah, that and the constant inability to remember to fit WIDE TIRES into the wheels wells of cars that are packing massive V8's and RWD

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I will check the other web site prior to taking my doors apart.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
my passenger side shorted, they fixed it under warranty

·
<><>Morgen<><>
879 Posts
I have this too. Usually when the I put it in park. Rarely happens but it does. At least it doesn't do it when it locks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dear NJJoeG8GT,

Thank you for sharing your experience with your front door locks. I am glad that your problem has been resolved.

Sincerely,
Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
84 Posts
My right rear door lock could take 3-4 fob presses to unlock. The diagnosis was a weak actuator. fixed under warranty

·
Registered
673 Posts
My driver rear door has the weak lock issue. I brought the car in for a few other warranty issues and they couldn't reproduce it. Sure enough now that I'm out of warranty, it's acting up again. My GTO has a similar issue. Is Holden picking a cheap solenoid?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dear Screw9911e,

I have read your post about your door locks in your 2008 Pontiac G8. I can understand how frustrating this type of situation can be especially when the dealership could not duplicate the problem.

Would you mind providing me the VIN of your G8? I would like to look into this for you. Please, feel free to send me the VIN via private message if that would make you feel more comfortable.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am actually having the same problem with my rear driver side door. I took it to a near by dealer ship that fixes Pontiac cars, and they told me the doors locking actuator is going bad. They ordered one but that was about 2 weeks ago, and no word from the dealer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My right rear door lock takes 2 fob presses to unlock. ill take it in

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dear NJJoeG8GT,

Thank you for sharing your experience with your front door locks. I am glad that your problem has been resolved.

Sincerely,
Michelle,

My rear passenger side door lock mechanism also has a weak actuator but I have 44,000 miles on it. Since this is a known common problem can I get it fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the rear passenger door panel off this morning to see why my lock mechanism isn't working properly. All the mechanical parts, interior lock lever, cable and the actual pivoting locking mechanism with the spring all work perfectly. It's the actuator that isn't strong enough to move the lock. My daughter sits on that side all time and I feel this is not safe when my door locks will not lock properly while driving. My problem is I have over 44,000 miles and I am no longer covered under warranty. I should have caught this issue earlier. I wasn't aware of the problem.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just found the Right rear door lock mechanism on GM Parts Direct for $49.11. I think I am going to just purchase it and replace it myself.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dear appletonrc,

I have read your post about your door locks in your 2008 G8. When was the last time that you had your vehicle into the dealership for this and they could not duplicate it? I am gathering information about this to exhaust my resources.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts
About this Discussion
313 Replies
120 Participants
pontiacg8grl
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing