Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my front and rear door speakers and trying to decide between some choices (or open to other recommendations). I'm basically looking for something that's going to sound good, but it doesn't have to be amazing or competition level or anything.

I've been looking through old posts on here, but not sure which direction I want to go. I was originally thinking of going with 2 ohm speakers, but it seems like there are a lot less options and I'm wondering if with efficient 4 ohm speakers if the volume difference wouldn't be much.

Here are some options I've been looking at:
Infinity Kappa 62.11i

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Kappa-62-11I-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B009GHQX5O/ref=sr_1_4?fst=as:off&qid=1550349420&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:1293701011,p_89:Infinity&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Infinity Ref-6522EX
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF6522IX-Reference-Speakers-Edge-driven/dp/B01FUZV7ZG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=infinity+reference+6.5&qid=1550348387&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

Polk DB651S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0NJPS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AUFI5NHGNZ61&psc=1

Kicker CS Series
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-cs-series-6-1-2-2-way-car-speakers-with-polypropylene-cones-pair-black/5678403.p?skuId=5678403&ref=199&loc=je6NUbpObpQ&acampID=1&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-oXz10sNj6kZTkxbzP6u0MQ

I've read a lot of people go with the Polk's, but I've also seen people say the Infinity are better (but at least the Kappas are more expensive). Also, I believe the fronts are components, right? But it sounds like most people just replace all 4 non-component? Does that require any extra steps/elimination/etc. in the front?

I'm sure a lot has changed over time for what's even available or what might be new now, so that's another reason I wanted to check if anyone has any recent experience/advice?

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I've had Kappas and Polks. The Kappas are much nicer sounding. I would definitely get either marine speakers or those waterproof foam baffles. It's very wet in our doors. Also check the cutout size. Ours aren't the largest and not all 6.5s fit. I've posted what that size is somewhere around here.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I went with all Polk ,the front doors are shallow and the Polk 651s fit better than the Kappa's ,however I do think the Kappa's had a cleaner sound were as the Polk I feel are a little more thumpy .I used two way front doors and did away with the factory tweeter position in favor of a single center gained down with a resistor.

·
LS2 slut
71 Posts
I went JVC just because i like the brand. To get the best your new speakers your best bet is to look into an after market headunit also. I went with a JVC KW-M730bt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
JBL GX series (2.3 ohms)
JBL GTO series (2.5 ohms)
PowerBass L2-652 (2 ohms)

Those were my top choices.
I just ordered 2 pairs of JBL GX speakers.
They come with 2 pairs of sound deadener for the doors.
Got that from SonicElectronix.com.

I tried to install my AudioControl LC2i today to run an amp and other subs.
I tapped into the wires at the stock subs as I was swapping polarity at the
same time I was there. Something is NOT right. Now my stock subs arent
playing, and the aftermarket signal is minimal at best. By the time I get
any bass through the subs from the amp, the LC2i freaks out, and power
starts to flicker as if my sub is shorting out. Will go back to drawing board
after all new speakers come in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

I was getting ready to get the Infinity Kappa 62.11i's on Amazon but it looks like they sold out since I originally asked. I did find some on EBay for a decent price so may go with that.

Before I do that though I was looking at Crutchfield and it's saying that they won't fit because of the magnet diameter and mounting height being a little too big. Did anyone else have any issues with that on these speakers? Or if you used a different model, do you remember what the model was?

I also looked up the newer Infinity Kappa 62IX's and it's saying the same issue about not fitting (same sizes as the 62.11i). For the front door it also says the cutout is like 0.01" too small, but I'm betting that part is probably doable just not sure about the magnet diameter and mounting height.

Anyone know if these will fit? And if so if there will be issues? I actually just checked Infinity's website and it says they won't fit either, but I was thinking I read other people not have issues?

It also looks like the 62.11i's (older model) are 2 ohm vs. 2.7 ohm so I might prefer them.

Alternatively does anyone have any experience or opinions on the Infinity reference?

I was also looking at the JBL GTO series and the specs looked pretty good, but on their website I could only find 3 ohm mentioned instead of 2.5. Their website was also advertising it as "true 4 ohm technology", but I would prefer 2 I think so not sure about going for them.

Thanks again for any advice. I'm hoping to pull the trigger on ordering some today to have in time for the weekend, but just trying to make up my mind haha

·
Registered
339 Posts
They didnt fit for me thats why I went with the Polk units .the fronts took a slim line driver ,I used Polk DB series 651S in the front and DB 651 in the rear .the ohmage IMO is not that important If your not trying to have concert level sound .The amp will work a little harder IE you will have to turn the volume up a little more ,but all in all I think the 4ohm speakers are fine ,they are for me and many others

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The Kappas I have are discontinued. 62.9i or something. I'll have to search to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with Kicker CS. The price was decent, install was simple, and the sound is very crisp. I did however purchase the Metra factory plug connector adapters, which made it nice and easy. I also went ahead and purchased a new front center channel speaker with 8 ohm to try and balance out the levels from the front dash tweets and the door speakers. There is a very noticeable difference in doing that mod.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info.

I was looking on Crutchfield and it looks like the magnet size on the 62.11i and 62IX is bigger than the 62.9i. I'm not sure which model Steve had, but is that why it fit for J Wikoff but not Steve? Or was it more related to depth or cutout size or something else?

Or I might just go with the Polks since it sounds like they are pretty good, too. If so then the middle speaker would be too loud in comparison right? And so I would need to either replace with a 4 (or more) ohm speaker, disconnect it altogether or do the resistor mod, right?

Between the Polk DB 651S, Infinity Reference, JBL GTO, and Kicker CS are they all pretty much in the same league? Or any reason to go for one (or avoid one) over the others?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
From what I've seen, cutout size, driven by the basket size, is more of a limiting factor than magnet size or mounting depth.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as the front center channel speaker goes, I think the stock speaker is 4 ohm. You are going to want an 8 ohm replacement woofer for that location.

Now, the only real issue that I think most of us had was finding a door speaker that would clear the internals of the door. Depth is the only real issue and getting the mounting holes to line up with the replacement speaker that you choose. I did have to drill a hole or two to get the Kicker CS to mount flush, but then again when it comes to electronics and audio I'm about as anal as they come.

I ended up with a complete Kicker system by the time I was done.... 4 door speakers fed by a Kicker 4 channel amp and a 12" Kicker CompR with a Kicker mono amp.

I know Kicker isn't the best out there, but for a decent hard pounding system that didn't eat into my parts budget for the car.... I don't complain..... but I bet my town does when I roll in blasting Korn or Rob Zombie.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I've seen, cutout size, driven by the basket size, is more of a limiting factor than magnet size or mounting depth.
Ok that makes sense. I just noticed that the newer models after the 9i have bigger magnets and now on Crutchfield it says they're too big (slightly). If I can find some 9i's I might go with them to be safe, but wasn't sure if anyone had experience with the 62.11i or 62IX if it would still fit even with the magnet size change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as the front center channel speaker goes, I think the stock speaker is 4 ohm. You are going to want an 8 ohm replacement woofer for that location.

Now, the only real issue that I think most of us had was finding a door speaker that would clear the internals of the door. Depth is the only real issue and getting the mounting holes to line up with the replacement speaker that you choose. I did have to drill a hole or two to get the Kicker CS to mount flush, but then again when it comes to electronics and audio I'm about as anal as they come.

I ended up with a complete Kicker system by the time I was done.... 4 door speakers fed by a Kicker 4 channel amp and a 12" Kicker CompR with a Kicker mono amp.

I know Kicker isn't the best out there, but for a decent hard pounding system that didn't eat into my parts budget for the car.... I don't complain..... but I bet my town does when I roll in blasting Korn or Rob Zombie.
Thanks for the heads up on the center speaker.

I'll have to look into the Kickers some more. I don't have to have the best out there so saving some money here to put into other areas could be a good option.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Ok that makes sense. I just noticed that the newer models after the 9i have bigger magnets and now on Crutchfield it says they're too big (slightly). If I can find some 9i's I might go with them to be safe, but wasn't sure if anyone had experience with the 62.11i or 62IX if it would still fit even with the magnet size change.
Don't forget a set of baffles to keep the water away. One of my Kappas died because rust formed down in the voice-coil region.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cant remember what model Kappa's I had purchased but I do rember it would fit because of speaker depth . I had a whole thread with pics then Image shack tried to hold evrybody hostage and the pic diapered from the web Ill see if I can find them on my server and repost them , here's the thread link

https://www.g8board.com/forums/9-stereo-electronics/260250-polk-speaker-replacement-gxp-pic-heavy.html
Ok thanks. And since that thread isn't too old I'm guessing it was probably one of the newer models. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Plenty of others have commented on speakers that work and what to look out for, but you may also want to look into creating your own mounting bracket to allow you to fit basically any reasonably 6 3/4" speaker. For my initial speaker install I just bought a pair of 3/4" MDF rings and mounted them to pieces of sheet metal, then screwed that into the mounting holes in the door for the stock bracket. Allowed me to mount pretty deep front speakers in the door without issues. I later had a shop create a much nicer bracket for the speakers. They also put a material called Frogzskin around the basket of the speaker to keep water out.

Old Mount:
https://imgur.com/jYenM.jpg

New (shop created) mount:
https://i.imgur.com/5wwzPYQ.jpg

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok I found my pics and uploaded them to a public album ,its full of pics of the speakers, baffles and the resistor I used . I for zoom in on the resistor pic you can read the label. I used the factory baffles ,but the holes didn't line up so I used some short self-tapping screws. Take a look and if you have any questions just ask me.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
10 Participants
nbortz34
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing