Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So I think I've got it narrowed down to a few choices. Any thoughts on what might be the best choice to go with in terms of quality and installation? Here's what I'm thinking so far based on what I've read so far between these 3 choices:

Polk DB651/DB651s - 4 ohm, 92 db sensitivity, 55W RMS?, easy install, good sound, possible soldering issues come up (also there is the 652 which seems to have good specs)

JBL GTO629 - 3 ohm, 93 db sensitivity, 60W RMS, 53-21khz, cutout 5 1/16",#2 seller in coaxial car speakers on Amazon (with good ratings), "Plus One carbon injected cone"

JBL GX602 - 2.3 ohm, 92 db sensitivity, 60W RMS, 50-21khz, cutout 5 1/8","Plus One polypropylene cones"

Any one stand out for sound quality or ease of installation? All about the same?

I also ordered 4 of the Metra 72-9300 speaker wire adapters. Steve, thanks for the install pictures!

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I wrote in that link I posted that 5" is the cutout size. I don't remember if I maybe rounded down, but anything bigger may be a problem. Are the JBLs listed as fitting?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wrote in that link I posted that 5" is the cutout size. I don't remember if I maybe rounded down, but anything bigger may be a problem. Are the JBLs listed as fitting?
Yes and no. Sonicelectronix says they both will. On Crutchfield they only have the GX602 and it says it won't fit, but not because of the cutout size. It has it being compatible for depth, magnet size and cutout but not mounting height, but I think I've seen other speakers that people said fit with similar or higher mounting heights. They don't have the GTO629 on their site (at least not that I can find) but they do have a GTO620 (not sure if it would be similar or not), but it says mounting height and magnet size (by a little)aren't compatible.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Cool. Also look at the back of the speaker grill on the door while you have things off. One of mine had some plastic flashing that poked into the rubber speaker surround. It was easy to trim off. Give it a look to avoid poking your new speakers.

Sonic also says these Rockford Fosgates fit. I found the hard way that their needed cutout is too big, and they now are featured in my garage stereo, because restocking fees.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_93356_Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1650.html

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Looking at the specs of the Inifinity Kappa 62.9i, the cutout is listed as 5 1/8. Use that as a data point, I guess.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you still have Infinity as a consideration, I recently went with a pair from Crutchfield for the rear doors that I am incredibly happy with. I had the original model you referenced as being no longer available that I put in like 5 years ago, but water recently destroyed one of mine so I needed to replace. I found whatever the "new" version is (which I can look at this evening if you care), and did it properly this time with foam baffles from Amazon.

The newer version of the Infinity speakers actually fit better than the previous model. I was able to do away with their little converter-mounting circle thing and mount directly to the door with the foam baffle.

Everyone that's been in my car is impressed by these speakers and the sound... even compared to friends with so-called premium (but still stock) 2015 & newer vehicles.

Sure, a lot of people claim you have to replace the head unit and factory amp, but it's HIGHLY unnecessary unless you're trying to be the a hole on the block that rattles the whole neighborhood.

Just my thoughts, but let me know if you care for me to look up the "new" Infinity model I used for the rear doors.

And again... plus one for the foam baffles, especially in the rear doors!!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I'd like to know what they are.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Okay, I lied... I actually went with Amazon. This is exactly what I ordered (rear doors only).

The baffles did require a little trimming as well, but nothing a few minutes with a razor blade couldn't accomplish.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Of those listed I think the JBL GX602 - 2.3 ohm, with 92 db sensitivity would be the choice. The 2-3ohm load will present as more efficient than a 3-4 ohm speaker with the same 92 db rating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the info on the Infinity Reference's nbortz. I'll have to keep those in mind in the future. I had been looking at the Ref 6532EX for a while I think, but had heard more about the Kappa's, so then started looking at those. I'm glad to hear they sound so good and fit well!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes and no. Sonicelectronix says they both will. On Crutchfield they only have the GX602 and it says it won't fit, but not because of the cutout size. It has it being compatible for depth, magnet size and cutout but not mounting height, but I think I've seen other speakers that people said fit with similar or higher mounting heights. They don't have the GTO629 on their site (at least not that I can find) but they do have a GTO620 (not sure if it would be similar or not), but it says mounting height and magnet size (by a little)aren't compatible.

I installed 4 GX602s today. No issues at all. Their +1 tech makes the mounting points farther out, but that was easy to fix.
They sound phenomenal to say the least.

Now if only my sub amp worked still.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tested another speaker on the wires from subs, and checked fuse. Fuse is good, and no output to speakers.
I suppose next move is to tap input wires to amp, and use external amp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I installed 4 GX602s today. No issues at all. Their +1 tech makes the mounting points farther out, but that was easy to fix.
They sound phenomenal to say the least.

Now if only my sub amp worked still.

Did you just make new holes farther in from the mounting points for the GX602 or something else? I don't have mine yet to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
That appears to have a remote-on signal wire. I don't believe there is anything going into or out of our stock amp harness that provides a remote-on.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
10 Participants
nbortz34
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing