Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Downstream Oxygen Sensor

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  markslateG8 
#1 ·
I ran over a small piece of lumber at night and it hit the underside a few times. After I parked and turned the engine back on, the check engine light goes on. I plug in my scanner to find it is heater downstream driver side error code. I then jack it up and look under to find everything ok but there is a small dent on drivers side downstream sensor. I buy a cheap new downstream sensor on ebay and install it, clear the error code and it works fine but in two days, the error code comes back. I have erased the error code again but after a few days, it is back. Any ideas? the wiring harness to the sensor does not appear damaged. Did I maybe buy too cheap of a sensor? It fit perfectly but was only $25. Do I have to buy AC Delco or Denso brand sensor? Maybe I will switch sensors and see if computer throws error code for passenger side.

#5 ·
I switched the sensors and found my theory to be true. The error changed from driver to passenger side so it is the sensor and the not wires leading to the sensor. I will order AC Delco sensor and that should fix it. Lesson learned. Do not use cheap ebay downstream sensor or the check engine light will forever luminate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.