Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going to raceway park this week to run this car first time since owning it down the 1/4 mile.

It is a 2009 Gt and the only mods are arh 1 7/8, rotofab and dyno tuned.

Any suggestions on launching it? Auto/sport/manual? Traction on/off? Should I go off idle or power brake up to a certain rpm? I know every car is different and I will play around to find the sweet spot.

Any guesses what the 1/4 mile time will be?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
845 Posts
Traction control off, brake torque to around 1k, and smash the gas. I've always been faster in drive then sport. The more agressive shifts in sport make me lose traction. A good time to shoot for with a bolt on gt is under 13 seconds

·
Registered
845 Posts
I was hoping for mid 12s, I guess we will find out. With traction off im gonna be afraid of spinning like crazy

Mid 12's is possible but you're gonna need some great weather conditions. I was also worried about spinning my first time out. The track isn't like the street where you'll burn out for weeks with traction control off from a dig. Do what ever makes you comfortable. Who did your tune?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car was tuned by Matt at Tune Time Performance so I know the tune is good. It suppose to be about 45 that night and raceway park is usually prepped really good. If I dont spin I think the outcome could be pretty good. Since the weather got cold out, the car is a beast!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Make sure to post the results up. Good luck

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the results are in..... I was disappointed, ran a 12.9 but off the line I had no traction, spinning like crazy. I think I could have squeezed 12.7 maybe or better. Oh well, more go parts and better tires next time.

·
Registered
737 Posts
i have a good amount of things done. almost a full suspension headers tune and i spin like crazy. i do sport mode, TC off hold the brake then mash it. I spin for a bit but i got my best time of 13.01 for some reason i hooked magically.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
12.9 is pretty good for that setup. I wouldn't have expected to see much faster. Get a nice set of GTO wheels and some Mickey Thompsons and see if you can hookup any better. Great thing is, now you have a baseline so you'll know what your next mods will help you improve.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a good amount of things done. almost a full suspension headers tune and i spin like crazy. i do sport mode, TC off hold the brake then mash it. I spin for a bit but i got my best time of 13.01 for some reason i hooked magically.
I went tc off regular drive mode and held it at like 900 rpm, anything more and I was going sideways. I have brand new tires but its the stock bridgestones it came with.

12.9 is pretty good for that setup. I wouldn't have expected to see much faster. Get a nice set of GTO wheels and some Mickey Thompsons and see if you can hookup any better. Great thing is, now you have a baseline so you'll know what your next mods will help you improve.
Even though I lost that run, the clk amg I ran was probably alot more pissed then me. He ran 12.79 I ran 12.9. I had him till the 8th mile then he started to pull away.

I definitely need better tires, I think if I can get some traction and launch off at higher revs I can take some off that time. Im thinking mild cam w/dod delete and tires, hopefully that will get me very low 12s.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm on the stock potenzas, I think they're actually pretty good. It may have been too cold for street tires depending on where you live. 12.9 is nothing to be disappointed over your first time out

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm on the stock potenzas, I think they're actually pretty good. It may have been too cold for street tires depending on where you live. 12.9 is nothing to be disappointed over your first time out
It was about 50 degrees out at the track, cloudy. I was gonna take air out the tires a little but didnt think it would make much of a difference, I kept them at 39 psi :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
It was about 50 degrees out at the track, cloudy. I was gonna take air out the tires a little but didnt think it would make much of a difference, I kept them at 39 psi :)

Ya 50 degrees is right about where summer tires start to harden up and traction will be an issue. When you're dealing with tenths of a second the little things make a difference. I lower my rears to 32

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya 50 degrees is right about where summer tires start to harden up and traction will be an issue. When you're dealing with tenths of a second the little things make a difference. I lower my rears to 32
I should have, next time. My cousin ran his c6 vette , ls2, best he did was 13.4 spinning even worse then me

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The stock RE050's are really good tires in my opinion but they are getting a little old now which means they start to harden a little. You can get some Hot Lap II and spray them down starting two days before the event and that will soften them up a little to get some better traction. It's cheaper than a drag setup if you want to have some fun in the meantime!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The stock RE050's are really good tires in my opinion but they are getting a little old now which means they start to harden a little. You can get some Hot Lap II and spray them down starting two days before the event and that will soften them up a little to get some better traction. It's cheaper than a drag setup if you want to have some fun in the meantime!
In the summer when they got hot, they were super sticky with awsome grip, it was really hard to break them loose. Im thinking about buying some old gto wheels and throwing slicks on just for track days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts