Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I took the car in to my local GM dealership due to a tick sound when I started the car in the cold. The usual sign, makes a tick and then when it warms up it goes away.

It took a couple of tries but the dealership did confirm the tick however they told me that the noise is normal for these engines and attached the below
explanation to my service order:

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first 19,000-24,000♦km (12,000-15,000♦mi) of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial start-up and typically disappears within the first 5-30♦seconds (may last longer in extreme cold temperatures). The noise is usually more noticeable on the initial start-up when the temperature is below 10°C (50°F) and may be more pronounced on the first cold start following a long trip.
This noise may be caused by an interaction between carbon that has formed on the piston, the piston motion and the cylinder wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines with this condition, has confirmed that the noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine. THIS NOISE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE LONGEVITY OF ANY OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS.

I thought great no problem just another weird thing the engine does. Then today it's a warm day, I pick up my car from the airport after flying in from a day trip and I hear the tick again at start up for 2-3 minutes. So I looked up if the AFM Causes the engine to tick in google and found the bulletin that he copied from, its attached below. The engines listed are the models below with the same description of t.he tick noise.

#01-06-01-028B: Engine Knock on Cold Start - (Oct 3, 2011)
Subject: Engine Knock on Cold Start

Models: 1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)

Equipped with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ4)

2007-2012 Cadillac Escalade Models

2007-2012 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2012 GMC Sierra, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

Equipped with 6.2L Engine (RPOs L92, L94, L9H)

This bulletin is being revised to update the Models section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-028A (Section 06 – Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit an engine knock noise that begins in the first 19,000-24,000♦km (12,000-15,000♦mi) of use. The knock noise is most often noticed during initial start-up and typically disappears within the first 5-30♦seconds (may last longer in extreme cold temperatures). The noise is usually more noticeable on the initial start-up when the temperature is below 10°C (50°F) and may be more pronounced on the first cold start following a long trip.
This noise may be caused by an interaction between carbon that has formed on the piston, the piston motion and the cylinder wall. GM Powertrain Engineering, and an analysis of engines with this condition, has confirmed that the noise is not detrimental to the performance, reliability or durability of the engine. THIS NOISE DOES NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE LONGEVITY OF ANY OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS.

Obviously I found the TSB for our engines right under the link for this one. My question is did anyone else have this told to them and then took their car back to get the lifters replaced? My car is still under warranty and want to make sure it doesn't fail due to a bad diagnostic by the technician. I know GM service read these posts and would also like their opinion. Should I take it back and this time show them the TSB, I'm a little concerned now?

Thanks everyone for the advise.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I took my car to the dealer. Set up an appointment and left my car overnight with a note to pay special attention to the first cold start. I also wrote on the note for them to read this bulletin! My tick was very faint and only lasted about 10 seconds on a cold start. Attached is a picture of my reciept. If they need P/N's there they are! And yes I got a free oil and coolant change as well.

#10-06-01-007D: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace AFM Valve Lifters) - (Apr 10, 2012)

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Correction information by removing the non-AFM valve lifter replacement and removing the non-AFM valve lifter Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-007C (Section 06 – Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ConditionSome customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

CauseThis condition may be caused by any of the following:

•Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.
•A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.
•Dirty or contaminated oil.
•A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.
•Debris in the valve lifter.
•A high valve lifter leak down rate.
CorrectionIf the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:

 1. Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.
⇒ If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.
Notice: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the valve lifter tick noise.

 2. Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.
⇒ If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 8 active fuel management (AFM) valve lifters ONLY.
Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement (With AFM) in SI.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lifter tick is normal in all LS series engines. When one if the AFM lifters fails, you'll know. That's when replacement under warranty will happen.

This exact same thing happened 3 months ago for me, and the car was with the dealer for 15 days.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Lifter tick is normal in all LS series engines. When one if the AFM lifters fails, you'll know. That's when replacement under warranty will happen.

This exact same thing happened 3 months ago for me, and the car was with the dealer for 15 days.
True and untrue. Yes it is common. But in my cases and many others, if you are friendly with your dealer they will give you great service and take care of you. Every case is different and I realize that. I know in my case I could have gone plenty of time without getting it replaced. But I wanted to get it looked at before I started getting into modding more. Even though I would be replacing it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the advise all. I'm going to go back to the dealership and speak with the service manager and see what happens. I would rather not have the lifter fail first. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi all. I took the car in to my local GM dealership due to a tick sound when I started the car in the cold. The usual sign, makes a tick and then when it warms up it goes away.

It took a couple of tries but the dealership did confirm the tick however they told me that the noise is normal for these engines and attached the below
explanation to my service order:

I thought great no problem just another weird thing the engine does. Then today it's a warm day, I pick up my car from the airport after flying in from a day trip and I hear the tick again at start up for 2-3 minutes. So I looked up if the AFM Causes the engine to tick in google and found the bulletin that he copied from, its attached below. The engines listed are the models below with the same description of t.he tick noise.

#01-06-01-028B: Engine Knock on Cold Start - (Oct 3, 2011)
Subject: Engine Knock on Cold Start

Models: 1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup and Utility Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade (2WD)

Equipped with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (RPOs LR4, LM7, L59, LQ4)

2007-2012 Cadillac Escalade Models

2007-2012 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2012 GMC Sierra, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Denali

Equipped with 6.2L Engine (RPOs L92, L94, L9H)

This bulletin is being revised to update the Models section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-028A (Section 06 – Engine/Propulsion System).

Obviously I found the TSB for our engines right under the link for this one. My question is did anyone else have this told to them and then took their car back to get the lifters replaced? My car is still under warranty and want to make sure it doesn't fail due to a bad diagnostic by the technician. I know GM service read these posts and would also like their opinion. Should I take it back and this time show them the TSB, I'm a little concerned now?

Thanks everyone for the advise.
Hello Celtic Curse,

I would like to assist you through this process. If you could private message me your full name, address, phone number or email, VIN, mileage, and the dealer that has serviced your G8 I can find out for you if your vehicle is still in warranty and gather some information for your dealer.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've had mine at the dealer three times now for this and they tell me they don't hear anything. I have asked them to check on a cold start and left them with the tsb. Guess its time for me to try another dealer or just start saving for a full dod delete and cam ;)

Hey there Need More Fuel,

Did you know that most dealers will do a ride along where a technician will drive with you in your vehicle to try to reproduce the issue. I could check with the your preferred dealer to see if they indeed do this service. Private message me if I can assist you with this.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
366 Posts
mine started as a cold start tick only, then turned into a collapsed lifter

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Celtic Curse,

I would like to assist you through this process. If you could private message me your full name, address, phone number or email, VIN, mileage, and the dealer that has serviced your G8 I can find out for you if your vehicle is still in warranty and gather some information for your dealer.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Service

Hi Jennifer. Thanks for the help. PM has been sent.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi Jennifer. Thanks for the help. PM has been sent.
Celtic Curse,

Thank you for providing the information. I will research your case and get back to you via private message as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My 6.0 and the 6.0 in my dads's 3/4 ton both do the same thing. Occasionally on a cold start, they have a lifter tick for 2-3 seconds and goes away. My warranty is up in september. So I'll likely have to replace the lifter by then.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Lifter tick is not normal. Hearing the noise for the first 2-3 seconds on a cold start is an indication that you have lifters on the way out, and will eventually collapse.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Lifter tick is not normal. Hearing the noise for the first 2-3 seconds on a cold start is an indication that you have lifters on the way out, and will eventually collapse.
You are correct. I pulled up the bulletin today titled "lifter tick after sitting for more than 2 hours". I can't remember the number.

Guess I'll have parts order my lifters and put them in on a slow day.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mine failed last month damaging my cam by a lifter. After a week at GM they replaced all lifters and cam. It just happened one day with no warning, it sounded like a VW Bus with all the tapping it even over drowned the sound of my Corsa.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to tick when cold but the driver-side rear has a rasping/tick noise that is audible inside or outside of the vehicle after it has warmed up.

I'm afraid to take my car into the dealer about it though for fear they will void my warranty over headers, despite the fact that headers could in NO WAY cause lifter damage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.