Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Currently don't have any time to investigate for myself, but noticed the driver's side sits much lower than the passenger side in the back. It sits at least 3/4" lower on the drivers side then the passenger side, or two finger gap on passenger side no finger gap on the drivers side.

Now just to let everyone know, I'm only 200lbs and the measurement was with me out of the car. It has Eibach springs, Monroe GT Sport shocks, BMR sways, rear cradle bushes and lower control arms.

Anyone ever have this problem? Thoughts on if it's the shocks or springs? I know driving home from the airport it feels weird going over dips and bumps, it doesn't react the same on both sides...like one side seems to dip lower than the other...it's a little unsettling.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thinking it's not a shock issue, as the springs hold the weight of the car, correct?? May be an issue with Eibach

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
not sure if there's a way to measure individual shocks, but maybe if you jack up the car at each corner and touch around the shock, maybe there is fluid or something that may have leaked out of one of them causing the imbalance? Just a guess, good luck in figuring it out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
What about battery location?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My car was off like 1/4 inch ones Igot the camber even it was fixed

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, part of me is thinking, maybe I cried wolf. My car was parked in the garage on the right side, with the front wheels cranked to the left. So with a slight taper of the garage floor towards the center, and the front wheels cranked the left (driver's side in US) rear was slightly squatted.
I took it on a quick errand and when parked straight it looked equal on both sides.

Still get the weird feeling over dips at speed though.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
park it outside on a level surface and break out the tape measure. Lip of wheel well metal to ground, vertical, side to side comparo.

And when I said shocks, I meant the strut combo

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
A lot of people have commented on their cars sitting uneven, laterally. I have noticed this myself from time to time. Every single car I've checked out looks uneven from side to side too. I think it's the nature of how level the surface is and what is in the car.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
THis is weird but today no matter where I parked it or what surface it was on, my drivers side was a good 1" lower than the passenger side..... I just had alignment done last week so maybe its what hayabusa had?... and my suspension place messed up?... guess I never noticed it before so I am not sure if it was there before the alignment or not?....

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
One side may have more camber than the other side, is my only thought.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Reviving thread -- seeing same issue, specifically on rear driver side.

I have Camaro 20s, Eibach springs, FE3s, rear cradle bushings, and rear sway bar.

When my car is fully loaded with adult passengers, I will rub only on the rear driver side. Also, when going over sudden offset cracks or narrow bumps in the road on the highway, I will get a "clunk" resonating from that same area.

My initial thoughts on what may be going on (just dont know where to start):
- sway bar/endlink connection is loose
- camber is off
- shock bushing collapsed
- spring seat eroded/needs replaced
- strut mount malformed
- spring is bad
- cradle alignment off (GTOs see this, not sure on G8s)

Suggestions or solutions from those who may have figured this out so I can save my time & money???

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I have the same issue on stock suspension, am hoping FE3 / new springs will fix it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My first car had a bent right rear spring, but that's probably because we overloaded that car annually for family vacations.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
i remember people were saying a while ago that this was due to the battery being on the drivers side. Makes sense imo.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is the battery approximately 50 lbs or so? I just don't understand how that would cause the driver side rear to drop ~ 7/16" compared to the passenger side?

Current measurements:

FL: 27.5" FR: 27.625"
RL: 27.0" RR: 27.4375"

(I have front poly strut mount bushings)

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
^^^ - Agreed. If it was battery they'd all do it.

·
Have Bar Will Travel
716 Posts
and if 50 lbs caused a 1 inch drop in ride height - my car would be bottomed out the entire time I drive with me and the wife in the car.

Do this - jack up car - remove both sway bar end links - drop car, remove extraneous stuff out of back seat and trunk area.

drive it back the drive way and back up (IE drop off a bit, jounce the rear once or twice)

park level - measure your gaps in the back.

if the gaps aren't equal or close to equal (within say .1 inch ) then something isn't quite right.

it is possible when putting on your control arms - you bound up the bushes such that one side doesn't rotate up as free as the other side.

it's also equally possible that your control arm is bent or the spring is not fully in the saddle on the other side (high side).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion--I know what I'm up to this weekend!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts