Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I searched the forums and watched some videos but I could not fine exactly what I am looking for. The carrier bearing on my G8 is causing the the driveshaft to kinda wiggle around and make a clunky noise. So it needs to be replaced but it seems like it is going to cost me a lot money to get it done. My local mechanic that I usually go to gave me an estimate of about $900 total for both parts and labor ($280 for the parts). Now this seems like it is more what's it really worth but they claim that it would take about 5 hours more or less to replace it. I know that they have to remove the shield, exhaust, and maybe some other parts first before they can remove the drive shaft but I am not sure if they're being honest with me about how much time they'd need to spend on it.

My local dealer said that they do not recommend replacing the the carrier bearing as it may cause vibration! Instead, they said it would be better to get a used driveshaft. The dealer estimated that it would cost about $700 to replace the entire driveshaft and said the carrier bearing by itself costs $120. Now I generally do not like to do business with dealers for obvious reasons but I am a little bit tempted to do so considering their estimate is better.

Is GMPartsGiant a good website to get parts from? The carrier bearing costs $72.86 there. Are there any online websites that you guys recommend to get parts from?

If anyone has gotten their carrier bearing replaced by a dealer or a local mechanic and could tell me how much they spent on it, I'd greatly appreciate it. I normally trust my local mechanic but it feels like they're either being greedy or trying to take advantage of me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
359 Posts
Get the Kerbid VoodooChicken Polyurethane Carrier Bearing, it's under $200. Replacing the carrier bearing shouldn't cause any vibrations(as long as you mark driveshaft and yoke so they are put back in the same position) , so not sure what the dealer is talking about...?

Labor wise I would say 3-4hrs max. Do it yourself if possible it's not too hard, there are a some videos on YouTube.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Going to a one piece shaft is also an option especially if you intend on pushing your car hard. G8Only has a few for sale.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Get the Kerbid VoodooChicken Polyurethane Carrier Bearing, it's under $200. Replacing the carrier bearing shouldn't cause any vibrations(as long as you mark driveshaft and yoke so they are put back in the same position) , so not sure what the dealer is talking about...?

Labor wise I would say 3-4hrs max. Do it yourself if possible it's not too hard, there are a some videos on YouTube.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That was the first I stopped by that dealer and they obviously have records of anyone who services their cars at their place and he noticed that I'd never been there before....so maybe he was just trying to make some quick cash off me? idk.

I watched some videos and yeah, it does not seem difficult to do but I live in an apartment and I am not allowed to work on my car. I don't have more than a small socket wrench so I would need buy/rent anything else I might need. Plus I am not very comfortable doing this by myself which is why I am asking if anyone had a dealer/mechanic do it for them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to a one piece shaft is also an option especially if you intend on pushing your car hard. G8Only has a few for sale.
I got the V6 my dude. So nothing fancy :/ and I want to save some cash since apparently labor is going to be very costly.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
$900 to replace a carrier bearing and $1,200 to install a used driveshaft are both interesting work estimates. If (a big if) replacing the carrier bearing causes the driveshaft to vibrate, a drive line shop should be able to balance the driveshaft. Highly recommend getting additional estimates or perchance there are fellow G8ers in the area willing to lend a helping hand.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm also in the process of costing out that same repair,I ordered the center bearing(part #92189411)from GM PARTS DIRECT $74.07,I also order the 2 coupling (part#92228328)
along with the boot kit for the driveshaft(part #92143595)when it comes apart.My daily driver has about 156k.Every driveshaft shop say's that the center bearing is not serviceable but in the GM repair manual it give details on how to replace the center bearing in DOCUMENT #2045407,It's important that whoever does the repair that they index the drive shaft so that when it goes back together there is no vibration issue,also check the rear trans output seal and the rear pinion seal for leaks or seepage if it needs tobe change change it while driveshaft is out.The labor should not be more thank 3-3.5 hrs which includes installing my new SOLO EXHAUST SYSTEM(since the exhaust has to come down)The place i'm taking it to have done is CALLED TUNE TIME PERFORMANCE IN LAKEWOOD NEW JERSEY.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm also in the process of costing out that same repair,I ordered the center bearing(part #92189411)from GM PARTS DIRECT $74.07,I also order the 2 coupling (part#92228328)
along with the boot kit for the driveshaft(part #92143595)when it comes apart.My daily driver has about 156k.Every driveshaft shop say's that the center bearing is not serviceable but in the GM repair manual it give details on how to replace the center bearing in DOCUMENT #2045407,It's important that whoever does the repair that they index the drive shaft so that when it goes back together there is no vibration issue,also check the rear trans output seal and the rear pinion seal for leaks or seepage if it needs tobe change change it while driveshaft is out.The labor should not be more thank 3-3.5 hrs which includes installing my new SOLO EXHAUST SYSTEM(since the exhaust has to come down)The place i'm taking it to have done is CALLED TUNE TIME PERFORMANCE IN LAKEWOOD NEW JERSEY.
I am nowhere near the place you're taking yours to but how much are you gonna pay to get all that done?

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Am not readily familiar with GMPartsGiant and usually get parts from Rock Auto, eBay, Amazon or Pace Performance. Looks like the AcDelco part number is 92189411. Both Rock Auto and Pace Performance show to have them in stock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Am not readily familiar with GMPartsGiant and usually get parts from Rock Auto, eBay, Amazon or Pace Performance. Looks like the AcDelco part number is 92189411. Both Rock Auto and Pace Performance show to have them in stock.
Thanks for the info my good sir.

I am thinking about getting this VooDoo Chicken Carrier Bearing from G8Only since it is apparently better than the OEM but it seems like the original carrier bearing has this bracket thingy that goes around the bushing/carrier and the one from G8Only does not have one those. Am I supposed to use the old one or am I missing something there?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Can't speak on installing the VooDooChicken carrier bearing per say, but the old bearing would have to be removed from the metal support in order to install the new bearing. Between the cost of the carrier bearing and the additional step needed for installation, personally it isn't a viable option. Are you able to remove the entire driveshaft and take it to a local shop like Pep Boys and have the bearing installed? Of course, you would have to find a house or garage preferably with a lift. By the way, how many miles are on the G8? Seeing as though the original bearing has lasted this long, chances are an oem replacement would last just as long making it difficult to justify the cost of the chicken carrier bearing. The main exception would be if the car were used for racing i.e. autocross.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am nowhere near the place you're taking yours to but how much are you gonna pay to get all that done?
I purchased the parts they are all OEM the CENTER BEARING COST $74.00 the 2 COUPLINGS WERE $56.00 EACH;parts cost $186.00;the labor to due complete job including install my SOLO EXHAUST $437;Parts and labor $623.00+tax;The reason I'm replaceing the rubber coupling on both ends of drive shaft is because of the milage of 156K on my car,the drive shaft will be out foolish for me not to replace the coupling,The reason I went with the coupling #92228328 is the price of $56 each,compaired to the Pontiac G8 part # 92148355 which is $174 each X2;If you need the PROCEDURE DOC I CAN E-MAIL THEM TO YOU JUST PM WITH YOUR E-MAIL AND I CAN SEND IT OVER OR IF ANYONE NEEDS A COPY,DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU IT'S NOT-SERVICABLE.Places tend to be lazy and just want to change parts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Like you said, it's a V6 so just go with OEM. Much easier and you get the whole assembly.

I plan on doing mine next spring when I take it out of storage. Fortunately, I'm a suspension mechanic so we do these once in a while although I have never done one on a G8. Pretty simple though, just make sure it's indexed correctly as mentioned earlier. About 75-80 bucks and I'll be good to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't speak on installing the VooDooChicken carrier bearing per say, but the old bearing would have to be removed from the metal support in order to install the new bearing. Between the cost of the carrier bearing and the additional step needed for installation, personally it isn't a viable option. Are you able to remove the entire driveshaft and take it to a local shop like Pep Boys and have the bearing installed? Of course, you would have to find a house or garage preferably with a lift. By the way, how many miles are on the G8? Seeing as though the original bearing has lasted this long, chances are an oem replacement would last just as long making it difficult to justify the cost of the chicken carrier bearing. The main exception would be if the car were used for racing i.e. autocross.
The only reason I am considering the VooDooChicken is because I'd like to get something of higher quality and that'll perhaps last longer.

I bought it when it had about 60K and now it has 84K miles on it. I don't know what kinda driver the first owner was but I live in a medium size city and she's my daily driver and I don't get to drive over 60 mph very often. Also, it is a V6 as I mentioned and I don't know much about racing but I am assuming people usually don't race with a V6 from 2009.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like you said, it's a V6 so just go with OEM. Much easier and you get the whole assembly.

I plan on doing mine next spring when I take it out of storage. Fortunately, I'm a suspension mechanic so we do these once in a while although I have never done one on a G8. Pretty simple though, just make sure it's indexed correctly as mentioned earlier. About 75-80 bucks and I'll be good to go.
Interesting! Both the the mechanic that I usually go to and the dealer made it seem like replacing the carrier bearing was very usually if not a bad idea. Both suggested that replacing the entire driveshaft could be a better option.

I think I might just take mine to one of those DIY garages (which I did not know existed until today) and replace it by myself. From what I have seen/read, the procedure is not complicated and the difficult part is just removing the old carrier bearing and installing the new one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts