Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, still a little new hear but bought a 2008 v6 model last year, and everything has been great until today.

Within 5 minutes I received an alternator notification, then a "charging service required" message, then a "low battery" and "battery saver mode" lall popped up. Is my alternator completely shot? If so where's the best place to find a good, cheap replacement?

I've also been trying to find a DIY installment video but haven't had much luck for the v6 models, so if anyone knows of a video that'd be awesome!

Thanks!

·
F1rehawk
663 Posts
Rockauto.com should answer your question regarding cheap replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Just to get an idea of the Alternators condition, get to the engineering page (while starting the engine) Then scroll down to the displayed battery voltage page. A good Alternator would show something like 14.7 volts +/- a little (or you may even have a full time voltage readout gauge in your car to view). If it just displays the *existing/current* battery voltage, that would be a good indication that the Alternator has taken a dive on you. There have been several that have lost their Alternators over the years (including me). Will start poking around at various sources for either a new OEM Alternator or an aftermarket version, an (if I find something worthwhile), I'll add some info to this post.

added info>>>>>

Not sure if a rebuilt or after market new units actually work as intended. For now as a reference point, a new GM OEM unit P/N 92173959 from Amazon goes for $158

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you,
I jumped into engineering mode and my battery voltage is showing 11.3v and my battery holding steady at 45% while idling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts