Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There was an open house/dyno day at Vengeance Racing this weekend here, went up to see how things turned out with the following mods, I had just installed the OBX the night before...

OBX 1 7/8 system to stock mufflers
VCM Intake
Tune
Powerbond UDP

362 HP/ 375 TQ

The numbers seem right on par with others I have seen here. Another member did the same dyno day, had Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Maganflow catback and Varaam Intake with a Tune. He did 350 HP / 363 TQ.

Even though its not on the track, I still believe in and support the VCM intake. To see an increase of 12hp/12tq over a similar modded G8 with the Varaam, leads me to believe the VCM adds to this gain

I switched from the Kooks mids to the OBX system and could tell a difference up top. I did not dyno prior, so not sure on the gains, but as the car has adjsuted to the new headers, it does pull stronger on the top end and surprisingly has crisper throttle response too. I sold my Kooks mids the same day to another local G8 buddy who was looking for a set.

Since VR is a very reputable shop and they turn out some sick Vettes and Maros, I feel pretty happy and confident with the dyno results. There were alot of makes and models there, no wacky numbers, all seem to be on par. All pulls were made in 4th gear. No factory freak here, but feel its worth sharing the results for those interested in the system.

*Note, the tune I have is with the Kooks Mids, I have not tuned for the OBX yet, although I think the gains will be minimal*

Dyno Vid

https://www.facebook.com/steve.cort...8829065&set=vb.100000633555233&type=2&theater

Attachments

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
Congrats. Good numbers. And as long as you are pleased, that's all that matters!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you seen a VCM in person? I said it contributed to the gains, not that it solely was the deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
I had a rotofab and switched to the VCM. With no other changes to the car I picked up nearly 2mph at the track. With the Rotofab I would trap 105-106. Once I put on the VCM I never trapped below 107...

Once you pop the hood and expose the rotofab to all that air, and not just what comes through the snorkle it is pretty obvious why they would dyno higher than a ram air setup when the car is stationary.

·
Registered
320 Posts
steve your chart looks way better then mine. i have thought about what happened to mine and i still cant come to a conclusion to why mine dyno'd so low

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stall locked? It spun really quick, what did they say? I saw you talking to them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no not in person just here on the net so if my statement is poor informed..please excuse it lol
Its cool, you are correct in the ram air effect and the higher pressure as speeds increase. Here is a side by side comparo of the 2....

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
They couldn't give me a reason either. Sucks cause I wanted unloaded dyno results.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn, that sucks to hear, Im not knowledgable on stalls, but I've read about locked vs unlocked on the dyno, I bet yours locked up, it spun real quick unlike alot others on there that seem to really ride out 4th gear.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any big change in exhaust sound going from mids to the LTs? Better? Cats or no cats?

Thanks,
Chris
No changes at idle, sounded the same but just a slight hint of being deeper. At WOT, it wakes up and becomes louder. The stock muffs really restrict it from being louder. It does sound better though. LTs with stock muffs is just right for cruising, has the hint of V8 to know its there, but not too loud. Not as loud as a Solo system or axel backs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.