Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mod is now complete. Followed the YETI thread putting in the Yella Terra 1.85 rockers, comp cam 26918 beehive springs and comp cams 7639 pushrods and left DOD active. Seat of the pants meter says it is definately pulling harder up top. I didn't do a before and after mod dyno but my tuner has done a fair # of G8s and says header, exhaust and CAI are averaging 346hp/360ftlb. So this mod seems to net almost 20hp.

So looking at the Dyno curve, HP really seems to head downhill fast after 5800rpm. Looking at my mods (full Kooks 1 3/4 long tube exhaust including, high flow cats, 3in X-pipe to SLP powerflow mufflers, a Rotofab CAI and Dynotune on top of valvetrain parts described above); What is the next logical mods to push that downhill breakpoint out 500 rpm so she is not falling off until after 6250rpm. Will ported intake or throttle body be the ticket? Or is there a cheaper way to increase quarter mile times without pushing out the peak horsepower. Please keep in mind, this is my daily drive year round in Illinios (yes we get snow). I know most of you will tell me to replace the cam but that is expensive. I'm looking to detemine if there are less envasive bolt-ons that will help gain another 35 hp. Objective is to break 400hp and run 12.75 or better 1/4 mile (I don't want any stock Mustang GTs or Camaro SS taking me on the street).

·
Registered
786 Posts
under drive pulley, ricks ported intake/TB, maybe see if a different tuner can squeeze out a little more power. Not knockin your tuner but three letters for ya... P.A.T.G!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm basically after the same goal as you. I hope you reach your goal of 400rwhp. What kind of dyno were you tuned on? If mustang then ur numbers will be a little lower in the first place.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Congrats on getting that Mod knocked out. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

First I would have your tune looked at just to see if there is any more power to be had there, or KR or timing adjustments. Second I think that you will have a really really really hard time making it to 400rwhp on the stock cam.

That stock cam profile just won't hold any power past 6200rpm. I think it is possible to make it to 380rwhp with the right dyno, and a catless exhaust with every bolt on in the world. It will need to be a very generous dyno.

At the end of the day dyno figures are arbitrary numbers. Every dyno is different. You can go to three different dyno's in your area and get three different numbers, but the 1/4 track you run on will tell you the truth.

You don't need higher numbers than a stock camaro either. Your TM tune combined with where your tune makes power will make you faster than a stock camaro. No worries.

·
Registered
210 Posts
under drive pulley, ricks ported intake/TB, maybe see if a different tuner can squeeze out a little more power. Not knockin your tuner but three letters for ya... P.A.T.G!
+1 for Pat G
Absolutely the best.
I sold my Roto fab and got a Vararam. Combined with the HSRK it really does a good job. I also swapped out my maf for a 90mm housed LS3 unit. I don't know how much it gave but it went in to the combo that gave me excellent numbers. Get a good a good tune and see what happens.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
You need a cam or boost to get power past 6200. An intake/TB combo will help power across the board and top-end but wont get the power-band to shift up.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about a little more info about Ricks ported intack and TB.

I'm not real impressed with my tuner. They didn't even come out to discuss what I wanted out of my tune, I had been using HPT and had my trans dialed in exactly the way I like it and Shane adjusted some fuel and timing tables for me at GONE last year before my headers, exhaust and rockers. So I was hoping they would build off of what I had but they totally dumped over what I had and in several aspects of normal driving I don't think it is running as good. I don't like the trans tune as much as mine (loosely based off of Bluegoat6's) either. I was considering PATG but Texas is too far and he uses EFI which means buying another interface. But maybe that is my best bet.

I'm basically after the same goal as you. I hope you reach your goal of 400rwhp. What kind of dyno were you tuned on? If mustang then ur numbers will be a little lower in the first place.
Dyno was dynojet research

First I would have your tune looked at just to see if there is any more power to be had there, or KR or timing adjustments.
Yeti, you were the inspiration for my approach; I really like the way you think.

+1 for Pat G
Absolutely the best.
I sold my Roto fab and got a Vararam. Combined with the HSRK it really does a good job. I also swapped out my maf for a 90mm housed LS3 unit. I don't know how much it gave but it went in to the combo that gave me excellent numbers. Get a good a good tune and see what happens.
Does anyone sell a HSRK for the Rotofab, I really like my Rotofab.

Everyone is saying continue to look at the tune. PatG, PatG, PatG! I'm getting the message guys, I may need to talk to PatG to see what going that tuning route will cost me.

You need a cam or boost to get power past 6200. An intake/TB combo will help power across the board and top-end but wont get the power-band to shift up.
Rick: You have some incredible 1/4 mile times! Are they corrected or is that what you actually ran. Your rockers and a tune #'s are unbelievible.

I want to thank all you guys for taking the time to reply. Your are the kind of people that make this board so enjoyable to be a part of.
God bless you all.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Yeti, you were the inspiration for my approach; I really like the way you think.
You are going to be blazing your own path now. I'm looking forward to seeing how far you can take that Rocker Mod.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Change transmission shift points?

Is changing the shift points on the transmission to 5700 rpm to remain in the power band a valid option to improve ET?

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
How about a little more info about Ricks ported intack and TB.

Rick: You have some incredible 1/4 mile times! Are they corrected or is that what you actually ran. Your rockers and a tune #'s are unbelievible.

I want to thank all you guys for taking the time to reply. Your are the kind of people that make this board so enjoyable to be a part of.
God bless you all.
I got it loaded on youtube. I don't correct, 100% timeslip....maybe some day I will use drag radials or slicks....

The intake is Modified and the TB is ported....There is porting done to the intake but the gains are from it being modified, not ported.

·
Advanced Member
1,202 Posts
Is changing the shift points on the transmission to 5700 rpm to remain in the power band a valid option to improve ET?
So what is the plan after it shifts and it is so far below the power-band it wont pass a school bus....? So no, 5700 is a bad idea. 6100ish...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I recommend the patrickg tune. He knows the g8 in all combinations of mods and has a nice library of tunes to start from. Best of all u can log and he will refine your tune based on your logs.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Hey Rick, what bolt ons are you running? Rotofab? Kooks Lts? Gears?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it loaded on youtube. I don't correct, 100% timeslip....maybe some day I will use drag radials or slicks....

The intake is Modified and the TB is ported....There is porting done to the intake but the gains are from it being modified, not ported.
Rick: I couldn't find a YouTube on your ported TB or modified Intake. Do you have link? If you do this for others PM me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Boost... you need boost.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,610 Posts

First I would have your tune looked at just to see if there is any more power to be had there, or KR or timing adjustments. Second I think that you will have a really really really hard time making it to 400rwhp on the stock cam.

That stock cam profile just won't hold any power past 6200rpm. I think it is possible to make it to 380rwhp with the right dyno, and a catless exhaust with every bolt on in the world. It will need to be a very generous dyno.

At the end of the day dyno figures are arbitrary numbers. Every dyno is different. You can go to three different dyno's in your area and get three different numbers, but the 1/4 track you run on will tell you the truth.

You don't need higher numbers than a stock camaro either. Your TM tune combined with where your tune makes power will make you faster than a stock camaro. No worries.
Lol, you can do 3 different dyno runs on the same dyno and still have 3 different numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drag strip times are in. 2012 G.O.N.E. is now over and it was a great time. The drag strip on Friday night has provided the data I was looking for. Not quite where I was hoping to be but closer to the goal of braking into the 12s. I had 6 very consistent runs all within 0.12 secs, 60' was 2.0X seconds on all 6 runs. Best time was 13.128. Talked to several people running Rick's intake and TB and they highly recommended it as my next mod. This will likely happen over Thanksgiving. Still haven't decided on which way to go on a tune, really would like to find someone using HPTuners.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Lol, you can do 3 different dyno runs on the same dyno and still have 3 different numbers.
Obviously.. The point was that your numbers from one dyno to the next can very drastically. I can have three different pulls on the same dyno an the numbers won't change drastically. Geeez...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts