Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Drag strip times are in. 2012 G.O.N.E. is now over and it was a great time. The drag strip on Friday night has provided the data I was looking for. Not quite where I was hoping to be but closer to the goal of braking into the 12s. I had 6 very consistent runs all within 0.12 secs, 60' was 2.0X seconds on all 6 runs. Best time was 13.128. Talked to several people running Rick's intake and TB and they highly recommended it as my next mod. This will likely happen over Thanksgiving. Still haven't decided on which way to go on a tune, really would like to find someone using HPTuners.
What was the DA? I ran a 13.2 with a trap of 106, 2.0x 60' with a DA 1500-1800. My mods at the time were custom 4" CAI, self tune, E85. Thats it.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
How much money can be saved by doing a cam swap and leaving the dod in place? I hear most shops charge 3k parts/labor for cam and dod delete... :(
My Dod cam swap was quoted for 800 bucks with fluids and a dyno pull. Super cheap.

When you do a dod delete and have to pull heads, posibly replacing valves along with lifters, new valley covers etc etc it gets expensive. Easily 600 to 700 more in parts, and 1200 to 1600 more in labor.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Too bad you don't live closer to Pensacola, my buddy and I do install/ tunes for a great price so long as you can provide everything else.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What was the DA? I ran a 13.2 with a trap of 106, 2.0x 60' with a DA 1500-1800. My mods at the time were custom 4" CAI, self tune, E85. Thats it.
You had a very good running car. DA was 1100 Friday night.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Drag strip times are in. 2012 G.O.N.E. is now over and it was a great time. The drag strip on Friday night has provided the data I was looking for. Not quite where I was hoping to be but closer to the goal of braking into the 12s. I had 6 very consistent runs all within 0.12 secs, 60' was 2.0X seconds on all 6 runs. Best time was 13.128. Talked to several people running Rick's intake and TB and they highly recommended it as my next mod. This will likely happen over Thanksgiving. Still haven't decided on which way to go on a tune, really would like to find someone using HPTuners.
I talked to you about Rick's Intake and TB at GONE. I would also HIGHLY recommend his tunes as well. Good stuff! Your soooo close to 12's.

·
Registered
149 Posts
under drive pulley, ricks ported intake/TB, maybe see if a different tuner can squeeze out a little more power. Not knockin your tuner but three letters for ya... P.A.T.G!
who sells underdrive pulleys for G8 GT I looked and March pulleys dont have them for G8s

·
Registered
149 Posts
Look at you damper, how would you put an underdrive pulley on ?

I dont understand your question..how would I put it on? I would have my shop Install it.
im.trying to find this kit in the USA.
belts and pulleys all together for easy install.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You said pulley,
I pointed out you can't put just a pulley on , you need to change the damper.
I linked the damper of choice that I use on cars, ATI.
You linked to a Powerbond Damper that happens to come with a belt and some idlers.
Before you put an underdrive damper-pulley, research G8 charging issues .
I used a full size ATI damper on my G8 to deal with the wobble that is common, not to increase power.
I wasnt personally looking for more power btw 370 rw on the dyno at work.

How would you put it on ?
Sorry, misunderstood your skillset.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You said pulley,
I pointed out you can't put just a pulley on , you need to change the damper.
I linked the damper of choice that I use on cars, ATI.
You linked to a Powerbond Damper that happens to come with a belt and some idlers.
Before you put an underdrive damper-pulley, research G8 charging issues .
I used a full size ATI damper on my G8 to deal with the wobble that is common, not to increase power.
I wasnt personally looking for more power btw 370 rw on the dyno at work.

How would you put it on ?
Sorry, misunderstood your skillset.

you do realize the H.B. is a pulley...smh...wow

·
Registered
444 Posts
OK Vinny, last post you win.
You said you searched March for underdrive pulleys.
March is a pulley and bracket seller.
Athough they list some fluid dampers , the spelling is not Fluidampr(r) so I dont know what they are.
Your post suggested you thought you could just buy a pulley

I pointed out you can't buy "just" a pulley.
I linked the ATI damper with integral main drive pulley ( ATI bolts on the AC pulley).
Good luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK Vinny, last post you win.
You said you searched March for underdrive pulleys.
March is a pulley and bracket seller.
Athough they list some fluid dampers , the spelling is not Fluidampr(r) so I dont know what they are.
Your post suggested you thought you could just buy a pulley

I pointed out you can't buy "just" a pulley.
I linked the ATI damper with integral main drive pulley ( ATI bolts on the AC pulley).
Good luck

nice name DROP...smh.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Instead of asking people that might. It even be in this forum, contact Pat G. The sooner you contact him, the sooner you’ll be to getting this done. Have him remote tune after. $$ but every bit worth the $. I say this about very few things and he’s one of them

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I would worry too much. He can find Balancer kits but couldn’t install it himself. If they think the balancer is just another pulley. Their knowledge of engines is limited. I would rather actually build HP than compromise the engine cooling, charging system and power steering. Porting a throttle body and intake will produce more with no compromise.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would worry too much. He can find Balancer kits but couldn’t install it himself. If they think the balancer is just another pulley. Their knowledge of engines is limited. I would rather actually build HP than compromise the engine cooling, charging system and power steering. Porting a throttle body and intake will produce more with no compromise.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
LS engines are internal balanced. You are discussing a dampener.

OP - underdrive pulleys are old school. Search camaro and vette forums, juice is not worth the squeeze, aka ROI is not worth it.

Since I'm on my soapbox, it's stated frequently how fragile the lifters and trays are - so you want to put additional load on them with a 1.85 rocker?

Regardless, once you do the underdrive and 1.85's please report back with before and after dyno/1320 results.

·
Registered
149 Posts
LS engines are internal balanced. You are discussing a dampener.

OP - underdrive pulleys are old school. Search camaro and vette forums, juice is not worth the squeeze, aka ROI is not worth it.

Since I'm on my soapbox, it's stated frequently how fragile the lifters and trays are - so you want to put additional load on them with a 1.85 rocker?

Regardless, once you do the underdrive and 1.85's please report back with before and after dyno/1320 results.
pat G did well with 1.85 stiffer springs

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It's a matter of perspective. 1.85s cost 700+ for rockers alone. Then add in springs and push rods. For 20HP on the high end?

For me, not worth it. I've been down the mod path. My lesson learned is first and foremost, determine your power and reliability goal - I would have save much $$ and time.

As I shared, cost is not just the immediate $, you are increasing load on the valve train. This will bring on the DOD deleted sooner when a lifter fails at which point it will be how lucky you are if limited to cam only damage. Save your coin, plan for a cam swap, 2110 lifters and PatG tune.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Cannot believe my old post has been resurrected after all this time. JCMG8's recommendation is a good one. I was working with Rick Crawford on all my mods. The problem was my goals changed. After the 1.85 rockers I did his intake and TB and then the Harmonic Dampener and still was in the high 12's. Save all the time and money and go directly to a cam. I wanted the best performance I could get on the stock converter and gears and went with the Little Lunati and have never looked back. Love this setup and you can run 12.2's all day long on Summer only tires.

Reactions: nda9090
21 - 40 of 42 Posts