Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just purchased a G8 GXP and I'd like to get it on the dyno and have any appropriate tuning performed. Can you guys suggest a good shop?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Not tuned so it is all hearsay and knowing a few peeps...

MAC Autosport in Parker:
18436 Longs Way
Parker, CO 80134-9607
(303) 841-1176

Clint at AIR: American Intense Racing
[email protected]
303-993-8259

Colorado Performance Unlimited: dont got Trent's contact info handy..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll call around tomorrow or Monday

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not tuned so it is all hearsay and knowing a few peeps...

MAC Autosport in Parker:
18436 Longs Way
Parker, CO 80134-9607
(303) 841-1176
Chiming in - these guys tuned my GXP a year ago and I've had no problems whatsoever. They had a good attitude while I was there and it doesn't hurt that their shop is all of 3 miles from me. :) I intend to go back there for a re-tune once I do a cam/blower etc.

Ewalk02: Where are you located?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm located in Westminster, these guys are a little far south but I decided to make the drive anyways. I thought they were great and they did a good job of explaining everything they were doing with the tune. Highly recommend them!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was $500 total, $450 for a little over two hours on the dyno with their tuner plus a $50 fee for the HPtuners license.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nick @ MAC has a LS7-swapped GTO and loves talking about G8s and LS stuff, and he's the one that would be doing your tune. You will like his enthusiasm. He tuned mine in December 2010 and the car's been great.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Re-Tune

I stopped in at MAC Autosports this afternoon to get set up for a retune. I had some perf. mods. done when I first bought my G8 in late 2009 at Dragon Race Engineering and got 493.5 HP and 443 FTLB. Over the year I have had several good mechanics tell me in person that with the mods. I have I should be making much better number as well as the same feedback on this forum. I heard some very good reports from my mechanic on MAC and have now seen several recommendations on the G8BOARD. I'm taking my car in for them to take a quick look at it next week and the schedule a re-tune. Wish me luck.:wink2:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'd be interested in the results.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Hard lesson learned

How did the tune turn out ??
Sorry for not posting this earlier but had a lot going on over the past several months.

I was disappointed to learn that the shop (Dragon Race Engineering in Dacono Co) that originally did the work on my G8 and the associated tune back in 2010 was not vey honest. The baseline that MAC Autosports got when they put it on their dyno was far below the numbers that Dragon had provided to me on their dyno sheet (493.5 HP @ 6,250 RPM and 443.5 TRQ @ 5,000 RPM). Dragon either fudged the numbers or put my name and VIN# on a different dyno run. Dragon is no longer in business, good they are out of business, bad in that I have no recourse for going back to them to deal with several items that I was charged for that didn't get done on my G8. I know a bit more than when I had the work done by Dragon and I hope I am a little less naive.

The numbers in my signature are the honest HP and TRQ numbers for my car after the E85 conversion (fuel pump, injectors and tune) by MAC. I was able to see the dyno pulls for the baseline and through the various changes that Nick at MAC made to the tune so I know that these are the true RW HP and TRQ.

That tune has allowed me to get 13.336 ET at Bandimere speedway in CO (5,280 above sea level) even with less than great 60' ETs all 2.0 seconds or more.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Trap speed

What was the trap speed on that 13.33? It will tell a lot more about where your car will run at sea level. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad it's all worked out.
106.52 MPH at 4:29 PM on September 17th.

Most of my runs that night had me in 105 to 107 MPH. I found a website that allows you to calculate DA for that track, date and time and see what that run would be at nominal sea level and it shows a 11.87 ET and 119.32 MPH.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts