Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Dynomax super turbo axle backs

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Poppanitrous 
#1 ·
Looking for a little more sound than what the stock mufflers provide, but not overbearing. Does anyone know if the dynomax super turbos have drone or not. The videos I have seen are only start-up and rev, but not any video done in the car while driving. I have already replaced the mid muffler with an x-pipe (kept the oem resonators) and had Solo axle backs, but my children complained that it was too loud in the back seat for them so I sold the axle backs and put the stock mufflers back on. Any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I have them with muff xpipe and OEM resonators (but opened up to 2.250 internal). some drone, but not enough to really care about. Personally, I find the change in tone with AFM more annoying. sound wise, kinda like a GXP muffler

#3 ·
I have AFM tuned out with my Cortex so that wouldn't be an issue. When I had the Solo axle backs the AFM cycling in and out really was annoying and I never have turned it back on because I like how the car drives better without it.

#7 ·
I have AFM tuned out with my Cortex so that wouldn't be an issue. When I had the Solo axle backs the AFM cycling in and out really was annoying and I never have turned it back on because I like how the car drives better without it.
I might give this a try and tune out the AFM for a test run. I think in another thread of yours I replied to that I have a custom mid-section with solo HFCs > x-pipe > stock resonators > GXP axleback. Removed the mid-muff and pup-cats. That is the sinlge biggest annoyance is that AFM cycling in and out. I don't do a lot of long distance highway driving, just commute about 15 miles back and forth to work. If it weren't for that cycling, I would be 100% happy instead of 97% happy.

#4 ·
^^^ I have heard quite a few guys say that the Dynomax SuperTurbo's were practically drone free, and fairly quiet until you really get on it. This is an axle back option I have considered. Dynomax mufflers have a great reputation, and for the price I dont think you could go wrong. I looked into their mufflers for my car and they were less than $50 each from what I recall.

Let us know what you decide!

#5 ·
I've got a set that's now off the car as I prefer the sound of the Magnaflows a bit better but it is better than the Magnaflows in the drone dept for sure and like was mentioned sounds much like the GXP mufflers but better IMO.

I've got a video on my laptop maybe I'll post up ... been thinking of selling them actually.

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply and it would be great if you had some time to post the video. Also, if you are serious about selling them PM me some pictures and a price and I would consider buying them from you.

#6 ·
I read on one of the forums that the dynomax vt had no drone and sound great.

#8 ·
FYI, for tips, lave a look at these on page three. I put them on and really like them. Of the three sets of cans I have now, these Bsal are the only one I have got compliments on. The link has how to get them cheaper than the dude on EBAY where I got mine. If you have to go the ebay route, he's a good seller -got them perfect and fast.

#11 ·
Thanks for the link - those are nice tips and I will definitely keep them in mind if I decide to put the super turbo or other type muffler on my car. I have also been looking at the Thrush series of mufflers. Not sure what I want to do yet, but price is important or I would just go Corsa! Just don't have that kinda money to spend!

#12 ·
Super Turbos have a reputation of killing drone. As stated, the sound isn't quite as muscular as others, but it definitely kills the drone. (This is from a different platform with 2 less cylinders. Just speaking for the Super Turbos rep.)

#13 ·
to reduce your cost, order the super turbos (17733 I think) at Advance, pair for $106, then use BIG40 discount to bring it to $66 or 33 each

#15 ·
Here's the vid:

This is a Magnaflow catback #16887 with the rear mufflers replaced with Dynomax #17733 Superturbo mufflers which have an internal S-bend. Drone is better with these than with the straight through Magnaflow mufflers.
The car is a G8 GXP w/ a manual transmission and the speedo is in km/h.
Inside vids where with windows & sunroof closed even though the outside shot has the sunroof open.

#16 ·
^^^ how do you like the muffler so far?

#17 ·
I've actually now installed a Borla catback so the Dynomax axle-back will be up for sale come spring time. $225 + shipping likely.

#18 ·
Why wait

#19 ·
No reason other than its freezing up here and I dont wanna mess around in the garage cleaning them up, taking pics, etc. Having said that, I'd sell 'em now if someone wanted them.

#20 ·
I would take em now for a good price

#21 ·
What's the difference between Turbos and Super Turbos?

#22 ·
The superturbos have an S-bend inside that forces the exhaust to change direction thus helping to quiet it down. The other is straight through.

#23 ·
Just ordered the Thrush Turbos from Jeg's. $57 shipped. Can't wait to get them on. Taking Friday off to make a road trip to Austin. I bet I don't even turn on the radio!

#24 ·
just bought Dynomax Thrush Turbo mufflers for 19.99 each at Advance auto.com. Type in BIG20 for the discount.

#25 ·
Thrush Turbos and Dynomax Super Turbos are very close the only diff I found was what Dynomax calls "flow director" pieces inside that help the exhaust gases make the turns gently rather then smacking the end plates and being forced to make the turns. Don't think they do that much in terms of HP but I figured WTF anything I can do to help smooth the flow out is better.

Anyways I was the first person (that I know of anyway) to install the Dynomax Super Turbos on the G8, mine have been on for more then a year now and they still sound great! To me they make no drone at all, some claim a little, butt hey sure do sound good! Not loud, not harsh, just a decent muclar growl.

#26 ·
nice i have my thrush sitting in the corner im waiting to get my car back to get a axelback made.

#27 ·
DAMMIT!!! Don't trust the pictures on advanceauto.com!!! I ordered the wrong ones. The picture on the box even shows center exit and offset inlet. the items in the box were offset for both, don't think that will work!

Now I have to send these back and order the right ones (part #17713). Crap...:(

#28 ·
I've got dynomax super turbos and I love em. I sometimes wish they were a little louder, but I know that all I need to do is add an Xpipe to have the sound I want. The rest of my exhaust is stock, and I have AFM enabled, and it's drone free (or as close as you can get I suppose).

#29 ·
im installing my dynomax thrush mufflers as we speak ill let you all know how it goes.

#30 ·
today I went to the US store to return the mufflers for a refund. Turns out they wanted to charge me $55 to ship them back for a $40 refund :( damn damn damn, the muffler guy said he would take them from me and just take it off the labor, so I'll be ordering more.

#31 · (Edited)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.