Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to remember what direction do you move the adjuster to tighten uper the emergency brake.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The one in the console, clockwise. The one in the brake itself, I can't remember either.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should have clarified that. The one through the hole in the rears.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
For starters, it says to *back off* the adjuster bolt in the center console. This to eliminate any chance of the cable system (to the brake shoes) from influencing any adjustment being performed at the shoe adjusters. The adjuster access hole (located on the front of the rotor hub) will expose the star wheel just forward or aft of the bottom center-line of the axle nut. The tricky thing to me, is that the star wheel never changes its relative position behind that adjusting hole in the rotor. There is a shoe engagement bolt threaded into that star wheel. Turning the star wheel in one direction causes the shoe bolt to extend from, or retract into the star wheel (which of course will cause the shoes to extend outwards or retract inwards) depending on the direction of star wheel rotation chosen. But even if your first chosen rotation of the wheel was wrong (as in the brake shoes have not extended out to the drum surface and jammed the star wheel from turning), you of course would just have to reverse the direction. I doubt it would take more than 7 to 10 star wheel click movements to reach shoe lockup condition. Once locked up, they say to back off the wheel 3 to 5 clicks (an verify no rotor drag from the shoes). Then re-adjust the cable system adjuster bolt in the console as needed, to get good parking brake action with 4 to 6 clicks of the handle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.