Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys with gas prices on the rise I'm thinking of switching to e85 for the summer. What is all needed to run e85 NA? I realize injectors & tuning, planning on 60's but what about the pump? Can it handle it or ZL1 recommended?

·
Registered
476 Posts
curious about this as well.. bump!

·
Chevrolet Performance Par
711 Posts
I made a how-to on the other board to run the OEM E85 sensor on a G8, but you can also look on HPtuners site on how to add the sensor and how to adjust the tune.
LINK
I would say at least the fuel pump would be needed.
-Greg

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I made a how-to on the other board to run the OEM E85 sensor on a G8, but you can also look on HPtuners site on how to add the sensor and how to adjust the tune.
LINK
I would say at least the fuel pump would be needed.
-Greg
I bought the setup, it's good stuff, can't wait to install it all.

Ps are you a sponser here? I was gonna write a thank you thread but this board I've learned to be careful on non sponsor talk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it really worth switching to e85 for the price? I know its a little cheaping by the gallon than 93 but it also requires around 30% more fuel than regular gas. I will be switching to e85 eventually but only for the performance gains with forced induction.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just found this site... plug in your numbers and go from there.

http://www.toflexornottoflex.com/

E85 prices: http://e85prices.com

Note: I plugged in E85 at $3 a gallon and Gas at $4. Put my E85 MPG at 19 and my Gas MPG at 25 (edit: The story below says 27% less energy, which means I should have put 18.2 for E85). Result? "If you buy E85, you will drive 0.083 miles further per dollar and it will cost you $0.002 less per mile."

Not even close to being worth the hassle of switching over permanently, at least for me.

See also: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=fuel&subject=fuelAlt&story=e85

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm actually wanting to switch it over completely to e85 not make it flex fuel. But nice write up known the less
building it flex fuel either way would ensure you dont have to retune for different blends of fuel, i've been doin this for a while, runnin straight e85, but every few months in MO where i'm at they change the blend as it gets colder the car gets richer (from e85-e60ish)

plus constant retunes are a PITA.

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,611 Posts
I bought the setup, it's good stuff, can't wait to install it all.

Ps are you a sponser here? I was gonna write a thank you thread but this board I've learned to be careful on non sponsor talk.
Me 2.

I just found this site... plug in your numbers and go from there.

http://www.toflexornottoflex.com/

E85 prices: http://e85prices.com

Note: I plugged in E85 at $3 a gallon and Gas at $4. Put my E85 MPG at 19 and my Gas MPG at 25 (edit: The story below says 27% less energy, which means I should have put 18.2 for E85). Result? "If you buy E85, you will drive 0.083 miles further per dollar and it will cost you $0.002 less per mile."

Not even close to being worth the hassle of switching over permanently, at least for me.

See also: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=fuel&subject=fuelAlt&story=e85
Using e85 goes beyond cost savings. It can be a nice performance booster for a few added ponies just by switching the fuel at the pump.

The flex fuel sensor means, you don't need to drain the tank before switching from gas (e10) to e85.

It's not even that expensive, to be honest, this mod might yield great results for cam guys who have nothing more to add to their car besides meth and nos. It's def amazing for anyone who is boosted. I wanted to do this a long time ago, I actually have almost all the parts in my possession.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Having never used E85 in anything and don't even know if there is a station close to me. I know very little about it. I did read the article in Car and Driver were they tested it in a Tahoe and the only real difference was they lost about 100 miles of driving range 390 to 290 on a tank.
So I have always wonder way force inducted guys use it and how it make more power? Is it because it runs cooler lower engine temps or the higher octane? I would think that since fuel economy suffers so much that it would make less power, then again I usaully see things backwards untill properly explained. So if some would like to explain I would like to know how it works and what benefits you get other than it is cheaper per gallon, because after reading the C/D article I was pretty dead set against ever using it, but alot on here do.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Using e85 goes beyond cost savings. It can be a nice performance booster for a few added ponies just by switching the fuel at the pump.
Oh I'm aware of that... I was answering strictly based on the OP asking about it due to fuel cost. That's why I was saying it's not really worth it. Well it could be if you want to think of the dependance of foreign oil or renewable resources...?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

So I have always wonder way force inducted guys use it and how it make more power? Is it because it runs cooler lower engine temps or the higher octane?
cooler is a nice benefit but the biggest thing is with the bump in octane; the ability to run more timing without detonation, more timing plus boost = more power (yeah, I'm being generic)

where the combustion process starts (spark added to the fuel and air, IE timing) greatly effects how and where power is made, and where its made effects the likelihood that the air-charge(in the compression chamber) wont overheat and detonate/ping/knock (again I'm kind of being simplistic for the sake of making a point)

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,611 Posts
Oh I'm aware of that... I was answering strictly based on the OP asking about it due to fuel cost. That's why I was saying it's not really worth it. Well it could be if you want to think of the dependance of foreign oil or renewable resources...?
Got yeah. Not to mention it'll help you pass emissions (burns way cleaner), even without cats!! (well, maybe). My brothers 500awhp evo passed emissions on e85 with a specific tune and no cats.

It'd be interesting to hear BlueGoat chime in on how much of an improvement it is for his NA car now that he has put some miles on it.

·
NC
122 Posts
you won't get better mpg with E85... it is a lower efficiency gas substitute ... 2ndly... the ethanol will produce water and that could damage the internal engine components.

The expense of changing out parts probably will negate any "savings" at the pump.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
you won't get better mpg with E85... it is a lower efficiency gas substitute ... 2ndly... the ethanol will produce water and that could damage the internal engine components.

The expense of changing out parts probably will negate any "savings" at the pump.
catchcan = problem solved... its what i do. drain it every tank... plus if you drive it it doesnt suffer hydrosis (or whatever thats called)

·
Cars are my hobby...
1,611 Posts
Interesting thanks, the long and short of it seems to be boosted cars E85=good, n/a car=not so good.
It's more on compression. A high compression engine running e85 can put out a TON of power. There is a local guy running some crazy compression doing 700rwhp from e85.

The G8 just isn't that high of a compression. E85 will allow you to advance your timing. But if you can increase your compression, you'll get more out of it.

Boost acts like it increases your compression, which is why boosted G8 guys see more than NA G8 guys.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm lightly modded, still N/A and running E85. I had my car advanced 4 degrees over stock and ended up throwing an additional 5 degrees at it and I'm still seeing zero knock. I gained 1 mph and 1 tenth at the track from the additional 5 degrees on the same day one hour apart. The gains are negligible for us N/A it seems, but like others have said it works great with boost/high compression.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Isn't it possible to just run E85 without changing any of the injectors pumps or lines? Also is it possible to run E85 and nitrous?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.