Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a wax or sealant that is easy to buff off, and no it is not for my G8. I have a 2011 Sierra with a folding hard cover on the bed (http://extang.com/docs/solidfold.html). The problem is the black cover’s surface is a textured aluminum painted black. Last year when I sealed my paint with Rejex I also did the cover and I could not get the dried polish out of the crevices. Today I finally took a last resort and hand buffed it out with 3M rubbing compound.

So, what kind of wax or sealant can I use that is really easy to buff off. I am not concerned if it is cheap and I have to do it once a month to protect the paint on the cover.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I've never had to wax a cover like yours but I would assume that it would of helped to use a soft brush to get in those crevices. Toothbrush soft but bigger. How often do you tend to wax it ? If you are kinda up on pair with it. I'd say just use some mothers liquid wax every three or four months. You could find a paint sealant and it will last longer or at least its supposed to. Depending on weather rain ,snow and so on plus how often you wash it ,will it determine how long it will last.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried everything I could find to buff it and nothing worked. I need something that buffs of easy. I don't care about the quality. If it does not last as long, I'll just do it more often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Any liquid wax will come off easier then a paste wax. And apply it and remove it in the shade. The sun won't bake it in. I mentioned mothers cause its what I prefer. Mainly its a liquid wax im recommending. Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for all of the advice. I decided to go with Megquiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. It said that it would come off easy and it did. It also states that it lasts twice as long. Twice as long compared to what I do not know. Hopefully at least a month or two.

BTW, Pony Killer, liquid wax, Rejex, is what got me into this problem.

All is well.

·
GM Enthusiast
826 Posts
I agree with the Adams Quick Sealant product. Ryan actually beat me to it. That is great stuff plus it is easy to get off.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
If it is a textured surface, use a brush. Tooth brush is too small. A shower back brush and heat/bend the handle for clearance. or any other scrub brush with soft enough

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Hell yea, a tooth brush would take a while lol.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Anything Adams is supposed to be some great stuff. Ive had good luck with Collinite 845 (I think) liquid sealant. Its goes on and off very easily and seems to give a durable finish.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The McGuiar's stuff worked fine. As for removing the wax with a brush; tried it with multiple brushes ranging from soft to hard and nothing worked.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Hmmm. Figured a brush for crevices or in your case a perforated cover would work. Well good to know. Again ,glad the mcguires worked

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.