1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I have the PFYC spoiler on my trunk; it's awesome. Not sure if this is the same item, but I love how it looks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the PFYC spoiler on my trunk; it's awesome. Not sure if this is the same item, but I love how it looks.
What all was involved in the install? Did it use the two bolt holes on each side? Fitment? Did you have the other holes professionally filled in and painted? Pics? Thx.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What all was involved in the install? Did it use the two bolt holes on each side? Fitment? Did you have the other holes professionally filled in and painted? Pics? Thx.
+2

Saw on Amazon they have the same style spoiler. Only thing stopping me is the fear of cost.

·
Registered
179 Posts
5 holes need filled. 2 existing holes are utilized and 2 new holes need drilled. There are existing threads showing install instructions

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 holes need filled. 2 existing holes are utilized and 2 new holes need drilled. There are existing threads showing install instructions
OK, yeah, I found and read over one by Glanzergtx; very helpful. Anyone know how much a reasonable body shop would charge to fill the holes and repaint the areas where they were? I wonder if it would be easier for them to do that after you took off the stock spoiler but before you put the new one on?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I looked at the spoiler on eBay, seemed a bit to good to be true at that price.
I'd spend more to make sure I got a quality spoiler rather than have this one fly off on the highway one Sunday afternoon.
My .02 cents for what its worth.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PYFC sells an extremely similar spoiler for the same $149 but charges an extra $85 to paint it to your body color. I think several guys on here have it, like it a lot, and have had no problems with it on their cars for two years or more. Tempting. Just gotta find out about the cost of professionally filling in the five holes left in the trunk lid after you install this one and painting the area where they were.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought an Ebay spoiler.. Came painted. Matches pretty good. Slight bit darker but with shadows it not real noticeable.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know how much a reasonable body shop would charge to fill the holes and repaint the areas where they were? I wonder if it would be easier for them to do that after you took off the stock spoiler but before you put the new one on?
Anyone?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMO, unless someone here works at a body shop that's going to be hard to give you and estimate. You best bet is going to a body shop and getting a quote.
I'm almost certain that a few guys on here have gone that route though and so would know; maybe one of them will see this thread and post up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO, unless someone here works at a body shop that's going to be hard to give you and estimate. You best bet is going to a body shop and getting a quote.
Did that and I think I just gave up on the whole idea. This estimator from a nearby, well regarded shop (does all the work for a local Mercedes dealership) never did come out with a final figure but it was really adding up. Said you'd have to weld up the holes and grind/sand them down flush, then repaint the entire trunk lid to ensure a perfect color blend. He said you'd need to take off and replace the GT, G8 and arrowhead emblems, etc., to do the job. Basically was saying that it was going to be a big ticket job and just to have a "better" spoiler on there is probably not worth it to me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did that and I think I just gave up on the whole idea. This estimator from a nearby, well regarded shop (does all the work for a local Mercedes dealership) never did come out with a final figure but it was really adding up. Said you'd have to weld up the holes and grind/sand them down flush, then repaint the entire trunk lid to ensure a perfect color blend. He said you'd need to take off and replace the GT, G8 and arrowhead emblems, etc., to do the job. Basically was saying that it was going to be a big ticket job and just to have a "better" spoiler on there is probably not worth it to me.
I'm 98.5% certain I won't go this route, but I wonder where guys get the semi-flush plugs they sometime use to "fill in" the holes? Anyone know?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got mine off eBay and have had no problems. It didn't cost that much to install, but the shop that did it has done all the work on my conversion. I didn't use the seller in the listing you posted, but I do remember seeing that seller name when I was shopping for mine 5 years ago. The one I got was about $20 less, but that *was* five years back, so....

I got a painted one and the match was right on. Then again, my car was barely four years old in 2012, too.

...[EDIT]...

I just did a search on eBay and found listings by the seller I bought from. I actually think it might be the same seller using different seller names. Both are using the same picture and same location.

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: VE Commodore Conversion - Front Bar & Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps, Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), VG Shark Fin, LED Fog Light Covers for DRLs, CoStar Bluetooth, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 LSD, Parking Sensors, Reverse Camera

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Try Home Depot and get the semi-flush domes they use to cover the wood screws used in build-it-yourself furniture.
I'm sure I saw a thread where someone used something along these lines.
Had to paint them and trim to clip in but apparently it worked.
May be worth a shot.

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,310 Posts
Dont be scared of ebay. Matter of fact I love ebay.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Try Home Depot and get the semi-flush domes they use to cover the wood screws used in build-it-yourself furniture.
I'm sure I saw a thread where someone used something along these lines.
Had to paint them and trim to clip in but apparently it worked.
May be worth a shot.
Anyone know what size the holes are? And what shape, round, oval, square? I've seen some pics in which they kinda look oval so if that's what they are then what is the diameter from top to bottom (the narrowest part)?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The holes are not just round. I am in the process of painting a trunk lid for the spoiler. After looking at the trunk lid holes I decided to use epoxy on them instead of welding them up. Depressed the holes and used tape on the backside. The trunklid I got had a few other dents and it needs a color change so a complete re-finish was in order. Did not see this until I had filled them but they ranged from 3/8" to 7/16" as I remember.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the two clips out that are the ones on each side closest in from the end metal studs and, yeah, looking up under there the holes seem to be a bit oval in shape, I'd guesstimate maybe 1/4" top to bottom and about 3/8" side to side. I'll get more exact measurements when I have the spoiler all the way off. I was kind of hoping they were just round as I'm planning to just fill them with color matching vinyl plugs for the short term and they might stay centered and secure a little better than having the holes oval. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts