Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is for my fellow edmontonians...

I'm looking to upgrade my stereo. Nothing too crazy, just better speakers and amp(s). Looking for a good place to get this done at. A shop where they are familiar with the G8.

I went in to future shop today to get an idea of what I could do and a ball park on how much it would cost. Well buddy didn't even know what the car was. Surprise, surprise.

Basically what I'm getting at is I just want a hassle free install, hopefully by someone who has already worked on a g8. Any recommendations would be appreesh.

Thanks

·
The Communicator
337 Posts
There will be NO place that will be familiar with the G8. Since we have that PITA Headunit all in one component, there will be no shops in Edmonton that will have ever worked on one.

To be honest your best bet is to upgrade the speakers, add two four channel AMPS, Two 12" subs in a nice box with two Mono AMPS. Keeping the factory unit. The HU is a good device TBH.

There is a fellow named DAN that I meet up with on Friday Nights at the Gateway Tim Hortons, He is involved with a stereo shop named Phantom and they seem to do good work from what I have seen.

If you want I can try to set you up with these guys?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm not interested in getting rid of the stock head unit. I just can't justify spending that kind of money to change it out.

Have you upgraded your system at all?

I googled Phantom and didn't come up with anything. Do they have a website?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any reputable shop will be able to do the work to your standards. IF they run into problems they will have the tools and knowledge to fix them.

When I installed my sub, the installers tapped into a 12v source but I think it was a data wire from the headunit or something like that?? I really cant remember the exact terms they used to describe it to me. Anyways long story shorter, they gave me the car back and as soon as I got home, I opened my driver door. Closed the door and 1 second after the door closed the sub started blaring a single tone. The only way to stop it was by pure luck, I opened the trunk on my remote. Took it back and they spent half a day on the phone to their suppliers. End of story, they fixed the problem. So if you have any problem similar to mine give me a shout.

·
Registered
170 Posts
BTW, I dont consider Future Shop to be a reputable place. They'll hire any teenager off the street that has hogg pogged their own stereo into working. I took my truck there to finish an amp install. I already wired the subs and amp and ran ground. I ran power, remote and RCA to the front dash. I sat there and watched for 2 HOURS while they poked the power thru the firewall. Tore the dash apart to connect the remote and a line level converter.... AMATURES!!.... A good shop would have had that done within 20 mins.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, I dont consider Future Shop to be a reputable place. They'll hire any teenager off the street that has hogg pogged their own stereo into working. I took my truck there to finish an amp install. I already wired the subs and amp and ran ground. I ran power, remote and RCA to the front dash. I sat there and watched for 2 HOURS while they poked the power thru the firewall. Tore the dash apart to connected the remote and a line level converter.... AMATURES!!.... A good shop would have had that done within 20 mins.
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. If I wanted an amateur to do it, I would attempt it myself lol.

I have never had an aftermarket stereo in one of my vehicles (the g8 is only
my second actually), so this is uncharted territory. A co-worker got his done at JB's power centre and says they did a good job. I'm a little skeptical. Going to have to do some more research before I dive in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well if you go in to a place, you can meet the person that would actually install it. If he's 30 years old and says hes been doing it for 10 years, your probably pretty safe.

If you feel like a road trip I know 2 very good places in my town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts