Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have A4 Advanti Kudos with 255/35R20 on the front and 285/30R20 on the rear. I definitely have rubbing issues on the rear. From perusing this forum I figure I have three options;

A) Roll the fenders
B) Coil overs (how will this affect the ride?)
C) Sell the wheels and start over

My least favorite option is rolling the fenders; unless someone can point me to a shop in Georgia who know what they are doing.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Offsets?

Rolling the fenders is the most financially responsible way to handle this, but I feel you on not wanting to do so. I DO NOT have mine rolled and I am lowered.

If you upgrade to a coil over set up and you drop in height you will rub, if you stay the same height you are rubbing as well. Maybe you can lift the car? ;)

New wheels? Just got to gauge the resale on your current setup and see whats out there. I rock the Avant Garde M310s in 19s staggered with +35 front and +43 offsets. I rub a little bit but not to much to worry. These offset ranges are really ideal for our cars and have proven to yield success for most.

If you love the wheels (POST SOME PICS!) keep them and roll the fenders.

** I edited your title to get you more attention

·
Registered
302 Posts
The offset should be machined/molded into the back side of the wheel.

Depending on the offset you'll have three choices - roll the quarters, new wheels or get a smaller rear tire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Where are you rubbing? Have you checked the bumper bracket?

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
What wrong with rolling the fenders?
Nothing in theory if done correctly by a trained professional with top notch equipment. I personally just don't rub enough to waste the time or money.

I think anytime people think about paying someone to mess with or in this case roll a piece of the body work there is a little bit of hesitancy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm fairly certain it is not the bumper bracket. I "shredded" the sidewall when I had some weight in the backseat

·
Registered
263 Posts
I also have sidewall shred really bad. Im running 275/35/20. One of my rims got scratched yesterday so I went to look at the exact specs on my invoice where I bought it because its been 3 yrs and it says I have 5x115 with a 35mm offset. But they fit. How is that possible?

·
Registered
226 Posts
5X115? is that our bolt pattern? Every GM car I've had was 5X120?

But it sounds to me like its your offset, a side view of the car doesn't help us THAT much, but it does look like your rims aren't tucked back, based on what I can tell. The crappy thing is, if you offset was too little, you can get spacers, but nothing you can do if its too much.

A narrower tire may help, but I mean, dropping from a 285 to a 275 is going to narrow your tire 5mm from each side, so you may have to go to a 265 or a 255 before that would solve your problem, depending on the severity of your rub. Being a 285 on a 20" rim, Im going to assume is 10" wide, and you probably cant get a 255 or 265 on that without stretching the sidewalls. Being that is a 30 series, i doubt that is your problem, if it were a 285/50, id suggest a lower profile to pull the tread shoulder down a little, but 30 is about as low as it gets before looking retarded.

·
Registered
263 Posts
No our car is 5x120 but when I bought my tires and rims 3 years ago I knew even less and that is what it seems the tire and rim shop put on my car.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I'd pull the wheels off and see whats stamped on the inside of them to be sure as that receipt can't be right. As for the size I'm running 19x10.5's @45mm with 285's out back lowered and have no problems, but then I did roll and pull the 1/4's a little. If you're concerned about the looks you honestly can't tell mines been done unless you park another G8 next to mine and really look for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have A4 Advanti Kudos with 255/35R20 on the front and 285/30R20 on the rear. I definitely have rubbing issues on the rear. From perusing this forum I figure I have three options;

A) Roll the fenders
B) Coil overs (how will this affect the ride?)
C) Sell the wheels and start over

My least favorite option is rolling the fenders; unless someone can point me to a shop in Georgia who know what they are doing.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Those wheels are made in 10 inch for rear fitment and with a +40mm offset which is what I assume you probably have on your car.

You have 2 problems with that 10 inch package : the wheel offset (40) is too low and the tires fitted are 285 wide.

Bottom line is that the rear set up protrudes over one inch further out (about 28 mm) than the factory wheels/tyres and there is not a gap in there of that size so the guard lips will strip the face of your tyres.

Your options are:

1. Change the rear tires to 265 35 20 (a 265 30 20 series is too small in diameter). This is aceptable on a 10" wide rim. (If you drop to a 275 -30- 20 tire you will still rub and you will have to roll the guards to fully eliminate rubbing under full suspension movement). Then keep the wheels and no need to roll the guards. Be aware that there is not a huge range of tires in that 265 35 20 size but they are available in quality brands.

2. Roll the rear guards and keep the 285 tires and wheels. With sufficient suspension movement (especially on a lowered car ) the tires can rub the rear bumper bracket inside the guard though.

3. Get a new set of wheels and if you want 275 or 285 tires in the rear get a wheel with a +50 mm offset or higher but you will find that there is not a very large range of 9.5 x 20" or 10 x 20" mass produced wheels available with a 50 mm offset. With a 48-50 mm offset 9.5 or 10" wheel a 275 tire will not give you any grief.

I don't like the prospect of rolling guards either if avoidable which is why, in your situation, I would just replace the rear tires with 265 - 35 -20 size.

(If you decide to roll the guards make sure you use a competent experienced professional that will heat up the paint to the correct temperature and do the rolling using the correct procedure to avoid cracking the paint or otherwise damaging the panel).

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wish I would of known some of this stuff back then. I think I could definitely use a different offset. My tires shred like crazy but I also know I probably have the wrong size tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Sean880. It makes sense what you are saying and I will take a look to see what is available.
I appreciate everyone's input

·
Registered
226 Posts
having two people asking questions in this thread is killing me....especially since their names are similar

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd roll the fender if I were you. There is no harm in doing so. All you need is heat and a telephone book. Youtube DIY fender rolling. You'll find 4 different methods. Personally I find using your own tires with a phonebook and the weight of your car the best method. Just go slow and keep the heat on. This method applies even pressure and limits the force (pounds per square inch). If this worries you go to a shop.

Those rims are worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts