Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installed these on the GXP in march 2010, so 3 years. started to hear a clanking over jumps recently. Finally found time to get my winter wheels off and i found a piece of spring laying on the strut. completely broken off.

was driving ok but the problem is now that i lifted the car, spring will not sit since its too big and slips off(the lower/narrower part of the coild is what snapped off).

i dont do any type of crazy driving to cause this. ive been 100% commuting.'

very upset about it cause ill be in a rental tomorrow morning and i dont know what to do.
need to get a new setup, but dont know what....

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Brutal. Only three years?! I'd be on phone to Eibach, that's for sure.

·
Registered
610 Posts
wow, im sure not being in a snow/salt belt would have helped a bit. But this is still really sad.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow sorry to see that man! I had an oem spring break on my malibu but that was after 12 years and 120k miles. How many miles are on your eibach springs?

I was actually on the phone with Eibach today asking them about their spring rates. I'm planning on getting Tein lowering springs but wanted to compare spring rates. The guy was really cool, going into a lot of detail about the design. I would call them tomorrow. I bet they will do something for you. They're on the west coast: 1-800-507-2338

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well there's your problem you have a G8 not the General Lee! I hope you meant BUMPS and not JUMPS?

Beyond that doesn't Eibach have a million mile warranty? Call em up and tell em you want a new set!
hahah yes, bumps.

i will be calling them for sure.
although i have BCs with new mounts and bearings already ordered.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow sorry to see that man! I had an oem spring break on my malibu but that was after 12 years and 120k miles. How many miles are on your eibach springs?

I was actually on the phone with Eibach today asking them about their spring rates. I'm planning on getting Tein lowering springs but wanted to compare spring rates. The guy was really cool, going into a lot of detail about the design. I would call them tomorrow. I bet they will do something for you. They're on the west coast: 1-800-507-2338
Thanks for the info, i will call them tomorrow.

i really liked the GXP strut + Eibach combo. until now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wouldn't write them off just yet. Out of the thousands and thousands of springs they ship, there's bound to be a small percentage of springs with unforeseeable structural issues. There could have been an impurity in the metal or a gas bubble that might have weakened the final product. I've seen many people buy Eibachs (I have them on my GAGT) and never have problems.

The real test of whether or not these are worth buying will be how the company handles the issue. If they are helpful, then I'd continue to trust them. If they try to push it off on the customer, then I'd be wary of buying them in the future.

Let us know how the conversation goes so that we can properly assess their customer service. I'm hoping that since they are such a well known and trusted company they will be very helpful in replacing the faulty spring.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
yes, I think I heard about one other g8 that had a rear spring snap, I think it was eibach too. I have had mine for about 3 years as well, but all is good so far.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
i like it too, and was close to pulling trigger on the eibachs.... until now :(

i guess you can't trust anything unless its stock.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've used Eibachs in the past without issue and agree with FuriousG about the percentages.. I'd wait and see what they say and go from there. Who knows, maybe they've made adjustments with the design/product since then. A lot can happen in 3yrs.

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Any update on this? Did you get them on the phone? Was thinking about Eibach springs as well but might hold off after seeing this.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got them on the phone.
they told me I need three things:
1. Part #
2. picture of damage
3. receipt

1 and 2 are easy. 3 is not. it was 3 years ago and I bought them new in box from a forum member. my posts history doesnt go back to March 2010 so I dont have their info.
my CC switched banks and they royally Fed up the history so i dont have it. i wish it was a paypal purchase.

So unless i find that, im done for.
not very happy with it.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
i like it too, and was close to pulling trigger on the eibachs.... until now :(

i guess you can't trust anything unless its stock.
Factory springs can break too. I've used Eibach springs on my past 4 cars and installed them in others cars and have never had a problem with them. $h1t happens. I know it sucks but remember if its made by man its subject to failure.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know its not ideal, but will they sell you just that one spring?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
yea i suppose if i have to and if the other 3 springs look ok when i get them off.

First im going to try to get in touch with the forum member i got them from.
Desertg8, ended up finding the thread on the other forum, and i PMed him today, hes still active so theres hope. maybe hes got something.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
I'm still getting a set soon.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Sub'd as I got a set in my garage waiting to go on...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts