Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The death of the Pontiac brand, and subsequently the G8 sports sedan, also marked the end of the rumored Pontiac G8 ST. The ST was said to be a version of the Holden Ute (above), and the spiritual successor to the famed El Camino.

According to several sources familiar with GM's product plans the automaker may still look to introduce the pickup car in the U.S., under the Chevy brand and using the El Camino name. The vehicle's future is, however, conditional and based on a larger RWD plan for GM – with continued rumors indicating a Holden RWD sedan will make it here eventually.

If GM moves ahead with plans to bring the Holden Ute to the U.S., look for it in 2014 as a 2015 model year car, or truck, or… whatever.

More: El Camino Rumored to Return as Part of GM's Larger RWD Plan on AutoGuide.com

·
Juice Addict
469 Posts
Right about the time my GXP is paid for, I can get a Ute to play with :).

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Why is it so difficult to get more Aussie cars here when we get cars from just about everywhere else already?

·
Registered
457 Posts
hope that means the wagon would be a go as well. it could be the mini van replacement

·
Registered
103 Posts
This would be perfect timing! I'll be out of college for about 3 years and looking for a new toy/car. Don't screw this up GM.

·
Knemo-schwine-aie-he-how
735 Posts
Why the hell can they get some POS South Korea sub-contractor to make the god-awful Aveo, yet they have such trouble getting the Commodore plant over here? How hard can it be?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Lack of Holden vehicles in USA may have something to do with current exchange rates, USD and AZD being at near parity. Shipping and handling for 10K miles isn't free, and these things go for upwards of 50K in Australia. You willing to pay that for your UTE or Sportswagon?:wink2:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good point, no one will pay 50k for an El Camino (Ute). The El Camino will end up being like the GTO, loved by those who bought it but a sales flop. An LS3 Sportswagon though would probably sell!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why is it so difficult to get more Aussie cars here when we get cars from just about everywhere else already?
I don't care much for any sedan from GM styled in the US. This is indeed a mystery.

Why the hell can they get some POS South Korea sub-contractor to make the god-awful Aveo, yet they have such trouble getting the Commodore plant over here? How hard can it be?
It seems tragic does it not? A vehicle that has recived such praise for its engineering year after year. Perhaps GM could start a employee exchange program with Holden.

Ive been waiting on the El Camino for the last 4 years. I would buy one.
I Know what you mean about waiting. Based on the goal I set, I was poised to purchase a 2010 G8. We know the rest of that story Paul Harvey. This could have been a seamless transition to a Chevy to maintain the volume commitment GM had with Holden with allowing this model to continue to build momentum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts