Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I was listening to some music at lunch time in my car as i usually do (Idling still cold up here in Canada) and my car chimed (I thought it was low gas warning) until I looked at the dash. It was warning my about engine temp and dial was pointing straight up hottest possible.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I will be watching my engine temp on the 40km drive home hope its nothing serious. I did not have time to check the coolant going to check on my break.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How cold was it? I once had old coolant in a car that decided to freeze one morning when it was -15°F (-26°C). The car over heated on the coldest day of the year go figure.... Wrecked the motor too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its only -6 out right now, yesterday it was +5. That's a crappy deal with your motor. I've noticed the engine getting hot idling before but this was in summer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
1. Did you check the coolant dipstick?
2. When it overheated, were the upper and lower rad hoses both hot/warm?
3. Were the cooling fans running?

These will be important pieces of information to have when you take your car in to get it fixed.

·
Registered
682 Posts
coolant dipstick?
Sure! On the passenger side near the front. Bright yellow "coolant" cap. Undo it, and you'll find it has a plastic dipstick attached to it.

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips I didn't hear the fans because of the music. But I will check it out when I leave work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you're low on coolant or there is air in the system, it will overheat fast. Had that happen to my old car in high school. Was very cold out one morning (in the single digits IIRC) and my car overheated only about a mile from my parent's house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts