Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I got my g8 gt and I’m wondering about it installing a catch can and if anybody knows will that increase the life expectancy of the engine I know the 6.0 with DoD are prone to lifter failure and when/If that happens a cam will be installed but in the mean the time can a catch can help reduce engine wear with the 6.0?

·
Registered
650 Posts
First... Welcome!

Second, my car has more than double the amount of miles as yours, and runs great! No catch can. I've wondered if a catch can would help, but I don't think you'll see much difference on a stock engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay that’s good, have you ever thought about using one? I mean they car is bone stock one owner, I’m thinking my first steps are cold air intake and catch can

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a catch can on my GTO. It worked, but I doubt it was actually needed. I don't think I will put one on my G8. Just inspect the throttle body every once in a while to see how clean/dirty it is. GM engineers probably felt confident the stock pcv system worked well with no long term risk to the engines.

BTW, if you decide to clean your throttle body, have someone sit inside the car with their foot on the gas pedal to open the throttle blade. To many stories of people pushing the throttle plate open by hand and having issues afterward.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, I've thought quite a bit about getting one, but not going to as long as my engine is relatively stock. As soon as I do a cam or anything else, I will probably get one. I'd say it's pretty much a must have on a boosted car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts